A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with small amounts of yarn?  (Read 1809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« on: October 21, 2010 02:21:50 PM »

So since I've started spinning I have a few small skeins of yarn that don't have enough yardage to do much with. I can crochet pretty much anything, and knit a basic garter stitch. I want to be able to make something with the yarn but I'm really not sure what I can make. There's not enough of any to make a hat or scarflett. I've thought of maybe making a bunch of squares (probably knit because it uses less yarn) and then piecing it all together to form a quilt after I eventually have enough, but I'm worried that it would look bizarre because it's all different fibers and colors and weights and some of it is plied and some isn't. So honestly if anyone has any idea of what to do with the yarn I'd love to hear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010 05:15:02 PM »

Trim on a project

a coffee cup cozy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShoelessJane
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010 09:30:45 AM »

I'm in a similar situation.  I tend to get small quantities of fiber, and spin to get an idea what the color and texture will be, rather than getting a large enough quantity to actually make something out of.

I tend to make wee knitted kittens and elephants, for no particular reason, other than having the pattern memorized and enjoying giving them to people.

When I was looking for ideas, I came across scrumble crochet; a free-form crochet style/technique that I really can't explain (Google it).

I also looked into finding patterns for small flowers that I could use as embellishments (on anything from sweaters to gifts) but never actually went anywhere with that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
freeli
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010 03:01:25 AM »

I'm a beginner-spinner but I'm getting there as well, those miniskeins are accumulating. So i was thinking about crocheting a granny square (or hexagon) blanket. Not too sure yet tho, i might have to double thinner yarns to get about the same weight yarn and it might just look absolutely mad with lots of different colours, but then, that might be what could make it just plain awesome  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShoelessJane
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010 10:14:48 AM »

I think a granny square or hexagon blanket (or scarf, or whatever) could be *really* cool, especially if you tend to work with a particular color set (ie: gem tones, earth tones, brights, etc), and arranged them in a progression, rather than just random.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010 09:52:24 PM »

A random square blanket would be awesome!
If you have friends who knit or crochet, who would be willing to help you out with it would make it more special, too.

I'm currently quite obsessed with knitting, and i'd be willing to help out, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Antsy
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010 08:07:59 PM »

A random square blanket would be awesome!
If you have friends who knit or crochet, who would be willing to help you out with it would make it more special, too.

I'm currently quite obsessed with knitting, and i'd be willing to help out, too. Smiley

I did crochet one 8" granny square. And I LOVE it. For some reason it's the softest thing ever (it's BFL and it wasn't all that soft as a yarn). Its super bulky. If I ever get back to anything other than lace weight I might do that blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010 05:07:53 AM »

I have a freind that makes headbands.  I'm not sure how much yarn they require, but can't be very much.  On days when it is not quite cold enough for a hat, but you want your ears covered these are perfect!!!
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010 08:32:30 PM »

These are the BEST because you can make the coolest projects out of them. This epic hat pattern was actually made for small bits of handspun. I highly recommend learning more about knitting. When I first started spinning, I could basically only do a knit stitch, and not very well, but I crocheted. Then I found out that knitting uses less yarn than crocheting, so you can make more with less yarn. And now i barely crochet, lol. Anyway, I've made hats for my friends out of a zillion different fibers/textures/sizes/colors, and the more varied, the cooler it looks. Really! Also, if you have a Ravelry account, you can find lots of patterns for projects with small bits of yarn. Bracelets, mini-scarves, wristwarmers, cute little whimsical stuff. If you don't have a Ravelry account, you should definitely get one. It's the greatest thing ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010 12:29:01 AM »

How bout a Rapunzel scarf?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=367731.0;all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot New Ice Cream Made Of Bones
How to Make Puppy Love Chow
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...