A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to sewing...question on finishing stitches :)  (Read 1928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StickerChic87
« on: October 20, 2010 06:09:57 PM »

So I completed my first sewing project on my new machine today, and wasnt sure how to tackle this: When I pull the fabric away from the machine, I cut off the thread, leaving some excess hanging from the fabric, so there is the upper thread hanging off of one side, and the lower thread hanging off of the other side. Now, I'm not quite sure what to do. Do I just trim it and leave it, tie a knot on both sides individually, or something else? Any advice would be awesome! I did search for a question like this, so if it is out there somewhere already, I do apologize. Thanks for the help! (And if this does not make sense, I'd be happy to explain further!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010 07:10:53 PM »

I was always taught to use the thread hanging off the back to pull the thread from the front to the wrong side (tug the wrong side thread, then use a straight pin to catch the stitch from the front and pull it through). Then tie the two thread ends together in a square knot, and clip close to the knot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010 07:14:43 PM »

I was always taught to use the thread hanging off the back to pull the thread from the front to the wrong side (tug the wrong side thread, then use a straight pin to catch the stitch from the front and pull it through). Then tie the two thread ends together in a square knot, and clip close to the knot.

Oooh yes, that seems easy enough! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sally1019
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010 04:18:46 AM »

I backstitch and then pull and then pull thru and tie. I'm a new sewer too. I read somewhere to backstitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenpoe
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010 11:45:12 AM »

I backstitch and just trim it off... If I'm supposed to tie it, I never knew. lol But I took one semester of sewing in home ec 9th grade, 10 years ago, and figured everything else out on my own in the last year or so, so I'm no expert.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010 12:16:54 PM »

I do the same as jenpoe, I backstitch and trim it right off, no knots and I have never had a seam unravel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
chokotkot
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010 08:17:38 AM »

I'm no expert but I backstitch only and never tie. I never had any problem with that, it should be secured enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 10:25:21 AM »

If you are sewing something where the loose thread will show, use the underside thread to tug it to the backside (you will need to do a little fiddling to get the thread end all the way out to the back side), tie a square knot, and clip, leaving a little bit of the thread ends so they don't work out of the knot.  Finishing this way can be neater than backstitching where it matters (ie, no back stitching at all, knot finishes the seam end).  If you backstitch a couple of stitches, that will lock the stitches in place and you can just pull the top thread to the backside and clip.

If you are sewing something where the threads will not show, just backstitch to finish and clip seams.

HINT:   You can just stitch in place 3-4 sititches to secure...just hold your fabric in place against the tug of the feeddogs and you are good to go.  Backstitching at the beginning of a seam?  Start with needle down 1/4 inch into the seam, backstitch, then forward...reduces the number of thread passes by 1 and reduces bulk.

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StickerChic87
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010 07:50:34 AM »

Thanks everyone for the help! It's great how I can learn so much on Craftster...you guys rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairies-in-disguise

if it doesn't kill us, it probably should have

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011 03:04:25 PM »

absolutely ALWAYS backstitch!
the only exception to the rule is if you are topstitching a seam and the backstitching will show, in which case tying the thread ends off is perfect
you should also always backstitch at the start of the seam so that it doesn't start unravelling!
sorry if I seem waaaaayyy too obsessed about this, but I used to hand tie every single seam, which probably doubled sewing time on most projects
Then I got to university and met the lovely industrial sewing machine with built in backstitch function! It is my new best friend and automatically backstitches at both the start and end of seams (although, my tutor found out that I was using the 'auto' function and now comes over and turns it off! So I turn it back on, and it's now a running thing.. but I'm waiting for the day she actually gets mad at me for it!)

And that got rather long winded....  Cheesy

Good luck with your new machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Steam Rice
How to Store Rice
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 1/2
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...