A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Quilters Nightmare  (Read 2512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 20, 2010 03:14:34 PM »

Since it is the right time of year for things like this, I thought I'd post a project I did a few years ago.  It was designed for a mail order catalogues fall challenge.  I could only pick 2 fabrics, the rest came with the challenge pack.  I designed it by going through my Mom's quilt books and picking out a bunch of Halloweenish sounding block name.  Then I wrote a story, picking 9 block names to make up the quilt.  The 10th name is for the boarder.  I didn't think at all about different blocks being different sizes, so I must thank my Mom for re drafting a few of the blocks for me so they all fit together.  After all of that I made the quilt.  The monster in the middle is made from paper clay, dollar store nails, and a glass eye and covered with the same scaly fabric that I trimmed it with.  That was one of the fabrics I choose.  The other is the motled red/orange/blackish

A QUILTER'S NIGHTMARE

While out walking on a stormy Halloween night, I came upon a roughly lettered sign that read "ALL HALLOWS Eve Quilt Show.  This Way."  Never able to resist a quilt show, I quickly decide to follow the arrow that points into the woods.  I walk along the dark path hoping for another sign, but the woods only grow thicker and my nerves more raw.  I eventually realize the sign must be someones idea of a Halloween prank, so I turn to go back...but the path that I'm sure I came down is now covered in a wall of TANGLED BRIARS.  Panicking, I frantically search for a way out of the thorny clearing.  Soon I stumble over something covered in a thick, sticky SPIDER WEB.  I use a bit of a branch to scrape away the sticky mass.  Underneath, I discover an ancient chest.  As I begin to examine the chest, a chorus of THUNDER AND LIGHTNING rings out overhead.  I can just make out the words "PANDORA'S BOX" engraved in gold across the edge of the lid.  "What kind of BLACK MAGIC is this?" I wonder out loud.  Part of me is saying, "Leave as fast as possible", but part of me wants to understand what is happening.  Suddenly, as another burst of lightning shoots overhead, I am able to make out something small shining on the ground.  I dive at the spot I had seen the glimmer and grab a long, thin hard object.  The next lightning strike reveals a small silver SICKLE in my hand and, in the background, just beyond my hand and echoed on the lid of the box, the same shape.  Without thinking, I slip the sickle into the dark impression in the lid.  As soon as I do this, it is clear I should not have.  The lid of the box flies open and a cloud of FLYING BATS tangle in my hair and scratch at my face.  I want to run, but I seem to be rooted in place.  Then a terrible howling wind surges out of the open box.  The wind makes the briers grasp at my arms and legs as if the thicket was now a living creature. Screaming, I pray it will soon end.  It would have been better if I had prayed for it to continue forever.  The moment the prayer leaves my lips, the tornado of briars falls away.  A silence as dark as the grave fills my ears.  But soon, I begin to hear a horrible scratching, like iron nails on bone.  I can see something writhing in the darkness of the box.  A long silvery-green talon sprouting from a gnarled finger the color of clotted blood begins slowly to rise from the box.  A DEVIL'S CLAW!  Darkness swims before my eyes as my fear takes me into unconsciousness.  I wake in my bed tangled in my sheets and soaked with sweat.  A STREAK OF LIGHTNING lights up my bedroom as I untangle myself.  I laugh nervousely as I comfort myself, "It was only a dream, only a dream, only a dream", I chant as I try to push back the dread that nips at the nape of my neck.  Oh, please, let it only have been a dream.

Thanks for looking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010 03:32:50 PM »

OH I just love it!! I am so thrilled to see this finally and so close to Halloween GREAT JOB LADY THIS ROCKS!! Oh, I hit that rocks button too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010 03:35:23 PM »

GREAT looking quilt - love the story - hope you did well in the challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010 03:52:20 PM »

That is so awesome!! (The story and the quilt). The Spider Web block is my favorite. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010 04:46:24 PM »

My favourite square is the spider's web - awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
blue_skiesMN
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010 08:42:54 AM »

Oh my gosh, this is great!!! I love the story that accompanies it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuvaMyChevy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010 06:02:44 PM »

awesome... i love the spiderweb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandykaye
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010 05:33:09 AM »

You are so clever! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaypee
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010 11:29:00 AM »

very creative. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010 11:47:26 AM »

Thanks everyone Grin!  It has been hideing in it's spot for a few years, so it is nice to get some current feedback.

I didn't win the challenge, but they did mention my name and discribed my quilt and story in the results of the challenge.  It was a bit of a rush to see my name in print for sure.

Thnks for looking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Sartorialist Sizzle Reel
Photographing in Places of Worship - Photography Tips
Capturing Details in Architecture Photography
Bryant Austin on the Scale of a Life-Size Whale Photograph
X-Ray Art Captures Inner Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...