A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's a Dorky Ol' Goth to Wear for Summer?  (Read 5005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2005 03:19:51 PM »

So, being a dorky ol’ goth (ha!) and dreading summer, I realized I had no cool, comfortable skirts to beat the heat with.  There is nothing I hate more in summer than to wear synthetic fibers – it is like living in a sauna!  The solution?  Make lots of black skirts out of a nice natural fiber!  “Black, for summer?” I hear you ask…well – remember – the dorky ol’ goth part!  Anyhow, I ran off to the fabric store and purchased metres and metres (well, yards and yards – the sales lady gave me a blank stare when I asked for metres) of a nice loose weave black linen fabric.

I had to think of what type of skirt I wanted to make.  Whilst I dress entirely in black for most of the part (black clothes - coloured accessories), my clothing style tends to be very classic, uncluttered, clean cut lines – quite conservative, actually!  I solely blame that on the 5.5 years of working in a legal office and having to dress the part.  Blah. I also wanted a skirt that I could layer stuff over the top if I wanted to – and something that I could wear for casual use or, to wear if I went to a club. So, I guess it was of no surprise that I decided to make a classic A-line skirt. 

I drafted my own pattern for the skirt based on another A-line skirt – but, I made the skirt much longer – to just touch the ground. I adore long skirts.  I also decided that I wanted to add a thick waistband to the skirt, also – I love how waistbands like that flatter the figure.  I sewed a zipper and hook closure in the left seam and top-stitched all the seams to give it a more professional look.  I'm already thinking of making some apron type shorter skirts that can be worn layered over the top of this one...and I think I'll be tackling a ruffled skirt of some sort also in the near future.

I was quite satisfied with how the skirt came out – although, it did turn out to be a touch loose – but, because it is a little bit loose it is really quite comfortable.  The only thing I don’t like about it?  It cat hair sticks to it like there is no tomorrow! D=  But, I guess that’s the price you pay for staying cool in summer! 

Anyhow – way to much text and no pictures! Please pardon the wrinkles - I've been wearing the skirt all day :]

An alternative view of the skirt – you can see how full it is.

The waistband:

Oh – not clothing related but...  I’ve always wondered how squirrels slept in the trees.  I’ve always seen them running around, sitting down and stuffing their faces full of nuts – but never sleeping.  Then this afternoon when I walked onto my balcony – my question was finally answered!  This little guy was taking a midday snooze on the branch – I woke him up when I took the photo….then he started barking at me demanding nuts.  What a cutie.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005 09:01:29 AM by pucchimaiko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
sugarhandgrenade

We need a dirty word...like Bill O'Riley!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005 03:43:42 PM »

Gorgeous! I love the head to toe black. Most of the time I wear mostly black and some large for of industrial combat/platform boots and I always hear "Aren't you HOT in that?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmonerd
Tutorial Contributor

Sporadic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005 04:23:47 PM »

I love wearing black (though I'm not "a dorky ol’ goth" hee hee)

But I always feel weird in the summer in black but it looks so good.
You're skirt is GREAT! I like that outfit I want one.

Also bring back the 'Soft Pink and Faux Pearls Flower' on Puchi Maiko!!! Please I'll buy it I promise.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little things I make http://vendibles.etsy.com
PpCakes
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005 08:58:41 PM »

i live the simplicity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 06:34:09 AM »

sugarhandgrenade - Thank you!  I always get that comment too - although, I don't wear boots in summer - my skin gets all nasty if I do =[

elmonerd - Yay for wearing black!  I get a lot of weird looks from people for wearing all black  - even though my style is quite conservative.  But, I'm comfortable, and cool - so it doesn't bother me!  I've had a LOT of people ask about that particular kanzashi!  I won't be making an identical one - but I'll most likely make a similar one sometime soon! :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005 06:37:54 AM »

Love the skirt.  Couldn't you make, like a knee lengthy skirt too? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
bespectacled
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005 06:39:53 AM »

Oooh I love it! I like your whole outfit, very cute and beautifully conservative Grin I lvoe floor length skirts! I just scored an awesome one at a thrift store that's near floor length and it's black with pleats <3
ANYWHO, great job, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005 10:29:03 AM »

Wow that looks great, and a great fit. Did you cut it on the bias to make it hang nicely like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005 10:55:29 AM »

The skirt is lovely! BUT...That squirrell is too cute!! I never knew how they slept either. Thanks for clearing that up. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
Writer78
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005 11:15:33 AM »

Girl, you are anything but dorky.  You look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Bookcase
How to Build a Bunk Bed
How to Build a Marble Roller Coaster
How to Dye Fabric
How to Dye Leather
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...