A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 Old Screen Doors... Any ideas??  (Read 2815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 19, 2010 06:43:45 AM »

I picked up two, old screen doors from a "free bin" at a yard sale.  I just KNEW something cool could be done with them, but I'm now at a loss. 

I did some googlin' but none of the ideas I could tripped my trigger.  Any ideas?  I thought about using the screen as a cross stitch "fabric" but I think the holes are too big and the "in between" is too small. 

Let me know!
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010 05:42:20 AM »

I liked the idea you had. Just get a cheap embroidery hoop, and put a piece of your mesh on it (like you would with fabric) and use either yarn or use more plys of the embroidery floss together. Since embroidery is a grid system, enter the pixelate mama challenge Wink

Since this is also Halloween time, you can cut your mesh into strips and sew it like fabric for creepy/sexy tutus.

How about creeping them up for Halloween - apply some glue and spiders & black /white yarn sewn thru the mesh to look like spider webs. Good prop!....wish I had me some of those Wink

Whatever you choose to do, have fun & post pics!

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010 02:39:20 PM »

Hinge together and add peg board to the screen area and you have yourself a display area for craft shows. 
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010 07:15:49 AM »

Such nifty ideas! That would be such a perfect display for earrings and other jewelry, even paintings and anything else! I might use that advice at a later day. Mental note!

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010 01:39:23 PM »

I think you could totally cross-stitch onto the mesh! Just use a yarn that is large enough to fill the holes comfortably and it should look awesome Cheesy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011 11:45:06 PM »

What if you hinged them together to make a screen for inside, or even add a third. A great way to seperate areas but have privacy. You could use new screen fabirc, keep the old, or even use fabric or cork board in the openings to make different looks or uses.
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011 01:07:05 PM »

If you want to cut them up, you can make fun little drawstring bags that are perfect for collecting rocks, shells, and other fun things that might be dirty. The dirt will sift through the mesh leaving only the treasures behind.

If you decide to try to make handmade paper, I like to use old screen windows to lay my wet paper out on to dry.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko: How Design Career Choices Are Changing
Jon Kolko on Using Evaluation and Testing to Improve a Design School
Jon Kolko on Career Advice For Young Design Professionals
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...