A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stop using the time of the year as an excuse for not making sales.  (Read 1398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010 10:26:50 AM »

I originally posted this on the etsy forums in August, but I believe it is relevant any time of the year so I thought I would also share it here. I hope you find it inspiring.

Brick and mortar locations can use the time of the year or their local economy as a reason that sales are down. Obviously their sales are determined by their local economy. Their buyers come from the community they're located in. However, online shops are a different matter entirely. Ecommerce reaches the entire world. It is not confined to one economy, but to many. Therefore, online retailers have the opportunity to reach buyers at any time regardless of the time of the year or downward sales turns in their own local economy. There are always people in the world somewhere who are looking to buy and who have money to spend. What becomes the challenge is reaching these people during the more trying times.

Say you sell baby clothes. Your excuse is that mothers are outside with their kids during the summer, not inside shopping online. Say that is the case. Then you need to change your marketing strategy. Get creative. Target grandmothers who won't be outside during the week with their grandkids. What types of sites will grandmothers be frequenting? Social networking sites? Websites? Forums? Still want to target moms? Moms with children are generally very busy. They're always looking for quick fixes for dinnertime meals. Get creative with your blog and include some quick mealtime recipes. Include them on your social networking sites or even advertise on sites and blogs that offer this type of content. Just because moms are busy doesn't mean that they're kids aren't growing and won't need new products.

The same goes for anything else you may be selling. Think outside the box and get creative. Don't make excuses. Take action. I've heard that summer is extremely slow on etsy, however, I just got involved with etsy again in late April and I have steadily increased my sales every month since then with June topping May and July topping June. The key is consistent marketing and advertising in areas that will bring you traffic and sales. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rebecca's Soap Delicatessen - Buy soap.
Soap Deli News - My soap blog.
ContessaCrafts
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011 05:58:00 AM »

Great advice, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinervaLRenfield
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011 03:50:09 PM »

Wow!  This was certainly worth saying! 

There are always slow times through the year for a variety of reasons, but you're right about getting out there and finding new ways to fill the market.  Are moms outside?  GO OUTSIDE!  Summer times are great times for outdoor markets and you'll reach those outdoor moms! 

Or find new ways to diversify your audiance or product!  We sell more jewellery in the winter for christmas time, but in our spring and summer months we bring in more products for our historical re-enacment clients because we know it's camping and faire season for them.  It's about being adaptable if you want your business to succeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bleuberry
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012 07:33:53 PM »

It's always good to advertise through your friends who frequent forums (of any kind, really). Add a link to their sig and that gets more people looking at your store. That's the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Cheesy My friend gets her GaiaOnline buddies to advertise for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Express: Running Clips Backwards
Final Cut Studio: Sending Clips from FCP to Motion
Final Cut Studio: FCE and FCP Filters
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...