A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unpaid Order - What to Do?  (Read 1100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xiphoid Process
« on: July 15, 2010 03:44:55 PM »

Right, so I'm really new to Etsy and to running a business with clients other than friends/friends of friends and so I'm a little confused about what to do in this situation. I didn't want to post this on the Etsy forums because I didn't want to accidentally offend the person involved...I want to handle this as best as possible and so I was hoping for some advice on what to do!

So, here's what has happened so far:
I had a one-of-a-kind hat listed in my shop. A customer bought the hat, provided all the shipping information, but didn't pay. The day after I received a message from the customer, saying that they had read somewhere in my listing that it was supposed to take 4 weeks to make the hat, and that they didn't want to purchase it if it wasn't the OOAK hat listed in the title.

However, nowhere in my listing did it say it would take 4 weeks to make the hat! It is ready-made which I had said. I replied to the customer telling them exactly that and apologizing if there was any confusion. I also reiterated the hat sizing as described in the listing because they seemed to have issues over that as well (they thought it was oversized even though I provided the exact measurements). But I definitely made sure to put all of this politely and apologized a lot.

Anyways, it's been about a week since this has happened and I have still not received payment nor communication from the customer. I'm unsure of what to do next. If they don't want the item any more, I sort of feel that they should refund me the listing fee - and also, this is a one-of-a-kind item that is now listed as sold so I can't really relist it without somehow reversing the sale...

I'm really unsure about how to handle this, if I should contact the customer again, wait, or contact Etsy staff. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and would know what to do? I don't want to offend anyone!

Thanks in advance for any advice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xiphoid Process: Custom Clothing and Accessories
http://sites.google.com/site/indigoxiphoid
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 03:59:05 PM »

Contact the customer again through both etsy and their e-mail address if you have that in your etsy order information. Ask for the money within a certain time and explain that if they aren't interested it's ok but to let you know.
If they back out officially just leave neutral feedback explaining you both decided to cancel the sale, and then file for your money back through etsy for your listing.
If they do not pay within the specified time frame leave negative feedback explaining it can be reversed if they pay.(Which it can) and then file for your money back through etsy for your listing fee.

I've had this happen a few times lately. They typically don't go through with the payment but I did have one person pay after they got the messages. Don't say how you're going to give feedback in the messages you leave just do it. Many are hesitant on etsy to do so for fear of retaliation but Other sellers want to know if someone repeatedly doesn't pay. It protects them and honestly I've never gotten the negative feedback in return.
Most of these buyers just hope the seller will ship out without checking for payment and some will surprisingly. they never log back in. Others will try this multiple times with many different sellers and if no one leaves the feedback then the sellers can get gyped.

Having a payment policy is helpful too. I request payment within a certain time frame. If I don't get it by then I leave the feedback, file for my money back, and move on. Smiley
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSpunkyDiva
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010 01:40:09 PM »

I have been researching on starting an Etsy shop, and found that many of the stores do have a payment policy in about the same spot as their shipping info.  As a buyer I would not be offended by being required to provide payment within a specified period (say 3 days).  If I just agreed to pay for something I should be ready, willing, and able to pay for it.  Just my $0.02 worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010 06:29:53 PM »

I don't even know why they give you the option to pay later. I always pay right away with my check/credit card through paypal. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010 10:12:59 AM »

I don't even know why they give you the option to pay later. I always pay right away with my check/credit card through paypal. 

That's a real disservice to sellers on Etsy that Etsy doesn't commit to payment.  The site doesn't have to guarantee payment, but it should have it integrated with their checkout.  I know this has been a problem on there for years.  Really, why does Etsy open up its sellers to non-paying buyers?  If a seller doesn't know how to handle a situation with a non-paying buyer, they REALLY lose out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Studio Lights
How to Set Up a Portrait Photo Shoot
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...