A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freezer paper stencil disaster, please help!  (Read 4461 times)
Tags for this thread: freezer_paper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrickyMcVomit
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010 10:44:54 AM »

I use fabric paint for everything. Usually just regular old Tulip brand..it shouldn't bleed. I'm guessing that is a satiny type fabric, that stuff sucks literally, the fibers suck everything right up! Fabric paint is thick and I don't imagine it doing the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010 05:36:04 PM »

I think spray paint would be a good idea.

And I would try and salvage the dress by either painting with a brush over the bleed with pink acrylic or making a reverse stencil and spray pink spray paint over the bleed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010 06:07:22 PM »

Did you use the same stencil for the second roach? I find my stencils don't adhere as well the second time, and I've never used one a third time because I presume it would just get worse.

Maybe try silkscreening instead? You just need a finely woven piece of nylon fabric (like tent fabric), a non-water-soluble glue and an embroidery hoop. I know people recommend using proper silkscreening ink, but I don't see why a runnier brand of fabric paint wouldn't work. You'll have to do some research, as I haven't looked into it too closely. Anyways, that way you'll be able to use the same screen for each and every roach instead of cutting out a pazillion roach stencils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ouais
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010 09:44:35 PM »

Here's my concern - if it's the fabric that's causing your bleeding, it's possible that any kind of paint or ink that you try will bleed. I've heard of the following working with painting walls prone to bleeding, maybe the same would work for your dress. I'd try this out on the ruined dress first, of course. You might try to paint the edge area with clear acrylic gel medium (like this stuff http://www.donnadowney.com/shop/images/T/g1322.jpg ), just to sort of treat the fabric. This should saturate your fabric with something so that it isn't quite so thirsty to suck up whatever black ink you use. That might help you get a clean edge.

Otherwise maybe you could just go for iron on transfers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowstealer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010 01:30:51 PM »

Do a test, pick a small inconspicuous area, and test out what your gong to use before you do a large area. Than you'll have an idea of if it is the fabric, or the medium your using.

If you planingon doing more projects like this I HGHLY recomend looking into getting a small screen, some silk screening emulsion, a squeegie and silk screening ink.
This way you can reclaim your screen and use it for multiple things. (try your local craigslist if you have one! I got 8 huge screens, ink, emulions, squeegies and stuff I still dont know what it is for $50 through my local creigslist!)

If your only plan to do anything like this once cheap nylon fabric (but not nylon stockings!) and non-water soluable glue might be the way to go. I've never gotten this to work before but others on craftster have.

You could also try fabric felt pens (my local art store has themand there wonderfully awesoem things!) but you would need multiple pens and a lot of pacience.

Sorry that was long! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luna1375
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010 03:06:29 PM »

Why don't you just cut the roaches out of dark fabric and glue them on with spray adhesive? You could use fray-check on the edges so you wouldn't have to hem them or anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010 06:17:41 PM »

I use the "paper" from here, for all my silk-screening needs. No bleeding and multiple uses! I have also used my silk-screening paints with freezer paper stencils, as they're quite thick and I find that they don't bleed; I use versatex and permaset aqua.

As others have said, I'd be tempted to go either the applique or iron-on transfer route.

The only other alternative I can think of is to get some fabric printed with the pattern on it. Spoonflower, anyone? You design it yourself, they print it! One of the fabrics they sell is a cotton sateen (it's $27/yard tho, and I don't know if it would get to you in time for Halloween).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010 06:40:57 PM »

Cheap and easy solution. Make a new stencil and use textile spray paint. If you go down the aisle with the t-shirts you can decorate in alsmost any craft store there is spray on fabric paint that works very well with this type of fabric. Just make sure you drape some newspaper over the rest of the dress so you dont get any extra spray on it. Here is a link to the stuff I always use. It is super cheap and works SO well! Hope this helps Smiley
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd635639
PS. if the link doesnt work for some reason its called: Stencil Spray Opaque Fabric Paint
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010 08:14:48 PM »

Why don't you just cut the roaches out of dark fabric and glue them on with spray adhesive? You could use fray-check on the edges so you wouldn't have to hem them or anything.

I'm thinking more along these lines, but instead of fray check and spray adhesive using fusible interfacing on black fabric to keep it from fraying.  I understand there is 2-sided fusible interfacing so then you could just iron the roach onto the dress.

If you're really only going to where it a couple of times this year it doesn't have to be totally sturdy AND if your Halloween activities are anything like mine they are generally at night and poorly lit so small flaws are hidden.  More so if there's drinkin'.  Wink

Good luck!  I know how heart breaking it is when your costume idea hits a snag. Ugh!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010 08:17:25 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 19
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010 10:09:55 AM »

I use speedball screen print ink, but have also just used acrylic for stuff I dont plan on washing. 

Do a very very thin layer at a time, it looks like you have a ton of paint on there in one of the pics.   Use a sponge and dab it on lightly working from the outer edge in.  Let it dry 100% and then do it again.   Keep adding layers one at a time until its the right color. 

Also make sure your sponge is dry before starting, and dont add water to anything.   I have had bleeding when my sponge has been damp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
City of Glass Book Trailer
Monte Reel Talks About The Last of the Tribe
Rachel Renee Russell Talks About Dork Diaries II
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About The Burning Wire
Interpreting Character: Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...