A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cooking with children.  (Read 504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Symmentha
« on: October 17, 2010 05:26:22 AM »

Just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to share some super simple, but healthy recipes that I could make with 2-3-4 year olds. Im studying childcare, and considering the obesity epidemic everything has to be aimed at healthy eating and I also want the kids to be able to do most of the 'work' obv with supervision, however Im really struggling with recipes. Even stuff I can adapt so its simpler for kiddies would be great. Thanks in advance. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010 05:57:13 AM »

Here are a few recipes that my kids love:

Sandwich rolls - tortillas, lunch meat, cheese, lettuce, mayo or garden vegetable cream cheese

Fruit salad - mix grapes, pineapple, apples (pre chopped) and coconut flakes (actually you can change the fruits up as needed)

Ants on a log - spread smooth peanut butter on celery sticks (the log) and put raisins in the peanut butter (to become the ants) **This might not work due to peanut allergy but if you can do it, the kids will love them!**

Trail mix - nuts, raisins, banana chips, m&ms (completely optional, but tasty!)

And a site that's helpful - http://www.childrensrecipes.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowlegs
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010 06:29:21 AM »

what about mini pizza, you can buy a pizza base mix,
then let the children  spoon the tomato base on and let them loose with toppings
its healthier as you can see whats in and on it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
CraftyDiem
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010 08:28:21 AM »

It really depends - if it's one on one then you can do almost anything together because you can supervise so closely.  If not then it's a bit different.  Some things I've seen work well:

scrambled eggs - kids do the eggs and mixing, teacher (with a hot plate) cooks the eggs
smoothies - yogurt and fruit (frozen or not)
If you bake something - let them watch it in the oven (there is nothing like a field trip to the kitchen!)
cereal
someone had a blog about going through the alphabet with vegetables - that could be fun and engaging (more for the 4 yos) even if they couldn't help with all the steps they could plan, come up with ideas for each letter, etc.

I would also recommend a handheld egg beater, bowls that grip on the bottom and whatever else makes for easy cooking.  Don't forget to talk about amounts, measurements, weights, how ingredients interact (adding sugar and butter and then creaming, mixing eggs vs. mixing egg whites).  Especially for the older threes and fours this is a major science activity.  It's also a literacy activity if you let kids "write" up the recipes and draw pictures of what they made (before and after). 

I kind of feel like 2 yos might be a bit young for this, unless they are at least 2 1/2.  It's really, really hard to get a whole group of 2 yos interested in the same activity - but if you just had 2-3 kids participating it could work out well.

IMHO - I think kids also really need a lot of time pretending to cook - it's much more interesting for them!

Good luck, get messy, and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010 08:16:53 PM »

I don't have kids but I remember something cool and awesome my grandmother did to get me and my sister to eat veggies when we were little bittys.
She would take fresh broccoli florets and carrot sticks (obviously she would wash and cut these before hand)
she would spread a piece of pumpernickel with cream cheese and we would arrange the broccoli "trees" and carrot "skyscrapers"  and then put the raisin "people" on and have GODZILLA SANDWICHES..
We were allowed to roar and scream as we were eating our "cities"

ok..I know..kinda lame and has been done before...BUT it worked!!!
and for the little ones (2-3 yr olds) it would be easy

and i confess..I still love a godzilla sandwich now and then
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
sparrowlegs
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010 10:57:40 AM »

crushed riveta, and nutella (chocolate spread) mix them together and put in small cake cases
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Shadow Levels in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust the Hue and Saturation in Photoshop CS3
How to Align Objects in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...