A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Strawberry Freezer Jam  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread: jam , strawberry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 14, 2010 06:23:09 AM »

So, I had to suck it up and head to the food bank for an emergency food hamper this week.
To be honest, I can't wait to be done school and have an income again, then I won't feel so damned useless...

But, they had a huge amount of strawberries to be given as fresh fruit, and they needed homes ASAP, so each family member was allowed 3 containers. For our family of 3, that meant 9 containers, or a flat of strawberries, plus one container. That's a lot of fruit! And, they were on their last legs, so they pretty much had to be used that day.
I love to make fruit smoothies with fresh, frozen fruit that I peel, cut, etc and freeze, yogurt and orange juice or homemade rosehip & strawberry tea. And we were running low on frozen strawberries. But there was no way I was going to find room in my freezer to freeze all that!

So, freezer jam it is!
I usually use Certo for my jams, but I didn't have any in the house. I've made jam with Jell-O before, but there wasn't any of that in the house either. And we are on a shoestring budget ATM (hence the food bank in the first place). So, I hunted about for pectin-free recipes that didn't call for Jell-O.

I found a few, and they all had oodles of sugar - about 2-4 cups of sugar per cup of strawberries, which is too much for me! But I noticed that they were all fairly similar to candy making, with the boiling of fruit and sugar until a certain temperature is reached (most said 220*)

So, I set about to wash, core and quarter all those strawberries. Some got set aside for freezing, but most were for the jam. There was about 8-9 cups!!! (I'm not a very scientific cook, either lol)

I popped them all in a pot and started at them with my handy potato masher. I suppose I could have used the blender, but I like the manual work for this; it leaves nice chunks of fruit in the jam Smiley

I slowly mixed in 5 cups of sugar (all I had in the house) and brought it to a boil. I waited until the mixture reached 220* and removed from the heat.

I added the juice of one lemon.

And let cool slightly before placing in containers.

All labelled up for the freezer!

And, because the berries were on their last legs, there was a LOT of waste! Those 3 containers there are all headed to the garbage.... (wish I had a yard so I could compost!)

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010 10:50:15 PM »

fresh jam...that must be so delicious! I could eat jelly toast all day every day, and strawberry's my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lunch Box Hacks: Banana Art
How to Make Cheese Stuffed Muffin Burgers
How To Make Pulled Pork Mac And Cheese
How To Make a Classic Patty Melt
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Makes for an Easy Weeknight Meal
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...