A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turning a dark green shirt to a khaki/olive drab color?  (Read 408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sprinklez
« on: October 16, 2010 08:37:52 PM »

So I dyed a white shirt, trying to match it to a green khaki cargo-type skirt. I bought some dylon dye in the color "olive". The color they showed on the package matched the skirt exactly but the shirt turned out way too GREEN. Just like... Dark but vibrant, not olive drab color. Is there a way I can fix this and make it the right color? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010 12:41:59 PM »

You can try washing it a couple times, it might still have some extra color in it that will come out. Tumble drying also always seems to lighten things for me so maybe that could help a little too (on the flip side, it might heat set the dye and keep the color). Otherwise, you can always get a color remover (not bleach), turn it back to white then dye again with a different color, more diluted dye, or for shorter time. I've never used a color remover (I know RIT makes one that seems to get alright reviews) so I can't tell you for sure, but maybe you could use that for only a short time to lighten the color without removing it completely. Hopefully someone else will know more about the remover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010 05:46:41 PM »

I remember reading somewhere the trials and tribulations of a woman attempting to get olive drab... OMG! I REMEMBER!!!!

http://www.lovemaegan.com/2010/04/balmain-slashed-army-t-shirt-diy.html

I agree with N30N about washing and drying. Try washing twice, once with soap, second time without soap and then stick it in the drier on hot with either drier balls or old (clean) shoes. If it doesn't lighten up any, use a smidge of colour remover (Tintex also makes one called Whitex), but either way try redying with a weak solution of brown, taupe or yellow to adjust the tint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caffe Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Create Bronzed Summer Makeup
Tips to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Summer
Mercedes Benz Swim Miami 2015 L*Space by Monica Wise
Outrageous Beauty: Brow Feng Shui Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...