A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old National Geographic Flooring  (Read 1595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bffmod
« on: April 14, 2010 12:24:55 AM »

Sorry don't have enough posts yet for pics in thread.

I watched some show where the woman decopauged old newspapers for the flooring. Since my remodeling budget is virtually nil and the carpet was nasty that sounded great to me.

I started by ripping up the old carpet and pulling out all the staples. If I would do this again here is where I would go through and fill in holes and gaps, but I was stupid and didn't.

I cut out all the picture of about a dozen National Geographics, plus a few old art instruction mags. Collected a bucket of glue, wall paper glue works well, and oil based polyurethane. First rub the picture front and back with thin layer of glue, then dunk in poly. Smooth out along floor. And repeat about a million times.

You really need to smooth it out. Make sure that the edges stick down really well too.

After that is dry, about overnight, then coat with poly. Let dry and repeat. I used two gallons of poly, it was about 8 coats total.

Bad news it ripped up at the seams of the underfloor. This would be great to do over linoleum because it would have a nice smooth surface to lay on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010 03:52:31 PM by kategirl - Reason: Edited to add embedded image for new member » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010 12:33:01 AM »

That's awesome!  What a neat idea for using cool pictures and flooring in general. 

I bet it could be done on a concrete floor, as long as it was finished fairly smooth- perhaps painted first.  Actually, on that thought, I wonder if you could use something like Webcrete to fill in along the seams.  Maybe even just a good thick layer of pressure sensitive adhesive, instead of using wallpaper paste to adhere the pictures?  That fills in cracks fairly well...

Is it kind of slippery to walk on, or does it have enough texture to catch pretty well?

I love the way it looks!  Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
bffmod
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010 12:04:26 AM »

Not slippery at all. I think if I do it again that I'll just use wood filler. It's pretty cheap and I think will do the job well enough. There was this stuff at the hardware store, autolever, or something along those lines. Where you just dump it out and kind of smooth it and it fills in cracks and levels..

The problem with this room and that kind of stuff it's over the basement and anything that goes into cracks will just seep into the basement. It's a really old house and nothing is level or straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunulata27
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010 09:08:25 PM »

Wow, I have never seen a project like that, that is awesome! I love nat geo's maybe I can find something cool to do with them. Way to be ambitious and very creative that is amazing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do and Hope!
Cathead
Wielder of the Pointy Stick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010 11:17:37 AM »

This is amazing! You did such a great job.

I know how sucky it is to work with off-level floor. Wood filler would work. The only other idea I could possibly offer would be to lay down plywood first (which could get costly if the room is big) as a kind of new sub-floor.

I've seen the newspaper floors, and the brown bag floors. But man... this took it to a whole new level. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have duct tape and a staple gun. I can fix anything.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
What is Almond Bark?
Easter Brownie Nests
How to Bake Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
7 Easy-to-Make Yogurt Snacks That Taste Like Dessert
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...