A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gourds! Gourds! and more GOURDS!! a tutorial  (Read 6908 times)
Tags for this thread: gourd , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beeker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Meep!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 16, 2010 09:16:40 AM »

How can you craft with gourds? Ever wanted to make a birdhouse, a container, or just anything out of a gourd. This is the process I use to make my gourdy creations. I'm sure there are lots of other ways of doing it, but this is just how my process evolved over time and after some trial and error.  Grin

1. First you must grow lots and lots of gourds in your garden! Pick them all. Hopefully you had a lot of nice big ones. You can also cheat this step and buy some from a local farmer's market or a nearby gourd enthusiast.

2. Throw all your gourds in a garage, barn, or attic. I try to lay them out so they are not touching. Also, I don't know if this happens to everyone, but everytime I have left them on concrete they go bad on me. I recomend laying them on a wood surface. In my barn they are on straw but that didn't seem to cause any problems.

3. WAIT! This is the hard part for me. Your gourds will be ready in about a year. They will dry out and the skin on the outside will get all funky. It may even look a little moldy, as long as it isn't leaking or juicy, the gourd is probably fine.

4. Now the messy part - cleaning the funk off of the gourd.  Tongue I usually do this step outside. I get a big bucket or an empty tote and clean the gourds outside by the hydrant. Today it was chilly and my toddler kept wanting to "help" so I decided to do this in the kitchen sink. I suppose my sink needed a good bleaching anyway.
I have used lots of different types of brushes and scrubbers, but a good old SOS pad seems to do the best for me.

Scrub and scrub and scrub....depending on the gourd and how it dried, the skin can come right off or it can be really stubborn. I am doing a swan gourd in this picture and they are not usually too bad, it is just hard to get all the skin off of the neck.

When you finish the gourd should be nice and smooth. As it dries, it won't be shiney anymore and you will be able to see any rough spots you missed.

5. Now for the fun part - decorating your gourd. The tools I use are a woodburner, watercolor paints, a hole saw (if I am making a birdhouse), and clear acrylic spray of some sort (I'm not set on any particular brand, but I do like the glossy kind).  

If I am making a birdhouse, I use the hole saw to cut the entrance first. The hole saw attaches to a power drill.

This way if you mess up or the hole doesn't go exactly where you intended, you aren't messing up your gourd. Same goes for a container, if I am cutting out a lid I do this first before decorating. I usually use the exacto blade attachment for my wood burner to cut out the lid.

I like to draw on my design first with pencil. Then you use the woodburner to burn the design. Gourds burn much easier than wood. It takes a little practice to get a nice even line. You can use different tips to make different designs, but I like the regular tip most wood burners come with.

When you finish burning your design, use a wet cloth or a baby wipe to clean off any leftover pencil lines. If I am going to add color this is when I do it. I use watercolors because I like for the natural patterns in the gourd to still show through.

The final step is to spray with the clear acrylic sealer (glossy). This step is important because it protects your gourds, seals in any paint, and makes it nice and shiney. I usually spray 2 to 3 coats letting the gourd dry well in between.

There are so many possibilities for gourds. Just have fun with them and you'll find lots of great crafts to make with gourds, gourds, and more gourds!  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010 09:52:34 AM by beeker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Christmas Stocking Swap - crafting Smiley
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010 09:56:19 AM »

Awesome tutorial, thank you so much for posting it!  I've always wondered how people do things with gourds...now I know! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jellybean89
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010 10:36:12 AM »

Those are really cool! I love the pear-shaped birdhouse with the flowers on it Smiley
(I've always wondered how those birdhouses were made! Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftNewb
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010 11:40:01 AM »

Thanks for sharing! I love your birdhouse. I have a gourd decorated as a pumpkin that my dad bought me a few years ago and LOVE it. I never knew it takes such a long time for them to dry up! I guess as the old saying goes - good things come to those who wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010 07:50:59 PM »

Your tutorial is amazing! I have a bunch of small gourds I purchased at the farmer's market today for decoration in my house. After the fall season, if I put them out in my garage on a wooden base, they should be ready next fall for me to decorate! How exciting is that!
I had no idea how much went into these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeker

Meep!

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010 04:18:27 AM »

Not all gourds dry the same. I have had trouble drying out the small ornamental ones. Sometimes they do fine, but, at least for me, they tend to cave in on themselves. It can't hurt to try though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010 04:36:48 AM »

What a fantastic tutorial! And, I have to say, it's nice for you to share something that you're so well known for!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeker

Meep!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010 06:02:35 AM »

What a fantastic tutorial! And, I have to say, it's nice for you to share something that you're so well known for!  Smiley

thank you! Part of the fun of craftster is sharing what you know and learning from others. I'm always getting ideas from other craftsters projects. Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010 09:51:10 AM »

Not all gourds dry the same. I have had trouble drying out the small ornamental ones. Sometimes they do fine, but, at least for me, they tend to cave in on themselves. It can't hurt to try though.
Thank you for letting me know! It was the little ones that I picked up! However, our town's pumpkin patch has a lot of larger ones for sale, so I'll pick some of those up this week too! I'm very excited to try this out, I've always loved the look of decorated gourds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gramma

love those prairie sunsets

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010 11:06:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing your tutorial, it is great! I also learned alot. I never knew that the gourds took that amount of time and work. I guess I always thought they grew the way we see them at the store. And I can now appreciate the beauty and hard work that goes into them when I see them on display.

Once they are painted and sprayed how long will they keep?

Thanks again!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Pekingse
How to Draw Patrick
Air Graffiti Wall Takes Street Art Off the Streets
How to Draw Pascal
How to Draw Otto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...