A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So Discouraged...New to craft shows...  (Read 1720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rach1fun
« on: October 15, 2010 09:18:52 PM »

I just did my 1st craft show last month.  Long story short, it didnt go well.  Noone did well, poorly attended.  Chalk it up to experience and move on.....

I was going to do 1 or 2 more shows before christmas.  The 1st one is a 1st year show at a large church, iffy, but only $20 and I know the coordinator.  The 2nd one was another large church, 20th annual.  100% homemade.  Awesome.... 

NOW I get a phone call that the 2nd show coordinator doesnt know if my items are "homemade enough".  Granted, my items are made with materials that previously served a different purpose....  diaper trikes, fuzzy sock cupcakes, washcloth candy, infant sock corsages, towel ponchos.  I kinda get where she is coming from, but I never thought of my items as "creative packaging", I am creating something new out of other things....  SO if she decides not to accept my application, its now only a month away and the other shows will probably be booked...UGH

So im left with 1 crappy show done, one iffy show left.  Maybe I should just stick to my day job.  Anyone want a tub full of fuzzy socks???

thanks for listening to my vent!  I needed to get that off my chest, LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jandsilntbob1848
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010 10:06:55 AM »

All I can say is to keep at it. Trends change, money woes ease, etc. Keep a log of what you sell and the conditions (rainy, clear, hot, cold, and anything else) that might affect turnout. Make sure you network with the other crafters around you. I have 3 shows under my belt and I can say that networking really helped me decide what shows are worth it and which aren't.
There are so many resources on etsy.com. They have a community where you can network with other crafters and they also have a blog, http://www.etsy.com/storque/, that posts daily topics.
Take pictures of your booth and your products; then have someone critique it. Don't get offended by constructive criticism - just use it!

Above all, don't quit until you give it a fair shake.

Good luck!
-Alexis
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010 10:10:14 AM by jandsilntbob1848 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010 10:38:40 AM »

Keep tryign and try not to be too discouraged.  Check into other sales held at churches as I think your items would sell well at those type of events.

One thought for you to consider.  Especially since your items sound like they would be great for Christmas.  See if you could do the equivalent of a tupperware party but with your products.  Maybe set it up such that you demo how to make and item or two (maybe do one simple one as an activity) and also have items for sale.  Have the host pay a set amount for you to come and she also gets some freebies or perks or something. 

I'm not sure if you would be into this, or if it would be possible, but it might offer an alternative to the craft show circuit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
rach1fun
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010 07:34:15 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I feel better getting that off my chest.  I heard back from them today and they are returning my check as they do not find my items "a good fit".  I will try to find another show that weekend, I feel like I need to give it a good try before I give up, I have inventory built up so I have to do something.  I have had mild success on Etsy, but I need to get better at uploading new items more often....I have stuff done, just dont have the time to take good pics and get it listed...  I have also had some success at a couple boutiques in my area...  we'll see...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karaann07
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010 06:58:36 PM »

Aww, I hear ya! It's hard to tough out those first fairs! I'd love to see some pics of your crafts- they sound really fun! Ultimately, the probably did you a favor- if they're going for a certain "feel" (and it certainly sounds like they were), and then they stick an "oddball" vendor or two in, those vendors are really going to be overlooked by the customers. That would definitely be a waste of your time.  I hope your craft show season is going well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Reverse Hair Damage with Your Diet
How To Manage "2nd Day" Hair
How to Style Half Up Prom Hair
Fashion Phenomenon: The Colourists’ Bar
Festival De Cannes 2014: Beauty Rendezvous with Dessange and Dior
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...