A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dancing Cranes Stole: My First Craftster Project and My First Big Lace Project  (Read 7940 times)
Tags for this thread: lace , stole , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WorkingJackie
« on: October 15, 2010 06:17:57 PM »

This is my first completed project post and my first big lace project! Yay!

I am very pleased to introduce: the Dancing Cranes Stole

And one more time in natural light:

This wonderful and elegant patten can be found on Elann.com. The designer, Shui Kuen, has a knack for creating knitted masterpieces. The stole is considered an intermediate level project. I've been knitting for less than a year and I think that this pattern can be tackled by an advanced/ambitious beginner.

Here are the changes I made:

The pattern calls for Elann Silken Kydd, a lace weight mohair/silk yarn. I used Lily Chin's Greenwich Village yarn. It is a worsted weight mohair/nylon/acrylic blend. I swatched and swatched some more and decided to use 6.5mm/US10 1/2 circular needles with a 40 inch cord. I suspect that 6mm/US10 needles would also work.

I intended to cast on 223 stitches, but for some reason I cast on 225. I discovered this after I completed 4 purl rows. My two extra stitches simply became an extra stitch on the end of each row.

I completed a total of two 28-row repeats and an addition half (14 rows) repeat. Keep in mind that a half repeat will leave a uneven edge. I don't mind it at all. I may have continued the last repeat to completion, but it turned out that 4 skeins of the yarn I used was the perfect amount for two and a half repeats.

The pattern instructions specifically mention cast on/bind off tension. It warns against binding off to tightly. When it came time to bind off, my tension was in fact tighter than the cast on. I realized that I preferred the tighter tension of the bind off compared to the cast on. I'm not particularly prone to loose cast ons, but I do wish I had cast on a wee bit more tightly. No worries though, I still love the finished product.

Blocked, the finished dimensions are 15'' wide by 64'' long. I expect it to lengthen with wear.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010 06:29:40 PM by WorkingJackie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amydice
Tutorial Contributor

Amy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010 06:33:15 PM »

I LOOOOVE IT! It's really beautiful, and looks super soft, too.

Welcome to Craftster! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for a personal swap!
Looking to swap for anything Doctor Who or a mug rug!

Blog: http://craftingmachine.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/AmyLutter
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmyLDice
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mad-Crafter/124912220860742
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010 09:33:58 PM »

very very beautiful!! great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010 07:03:55 AM »

It's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on completing your first big lace project, you did a wonderful job!!!

Is it purple or pink?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010 07:05:31 AM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010 09:26:13 AM »

Beautiful! You did a great job and it fits you well!  Which color is more accurate, the natural light photo (purple-ish) or the ones with flash (dusty rose color)? I love the lace pattern...I can totally see how it got the name Dancing Cranes!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010 08:06:29 PM »

It is sooo beautiful!  I wanna knit it too.

I cannot believe you have less than a year of knitting under your belt.
I am hesitant about starting this - even though I really, really want to - and I have been knitting for nearly fifty years!

Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WorkingJackie
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010 10:48:46 AM »

Thanks for all the comments!

Burgz and striker923: The color is purple. You can check it (color 5561) out here:

http://www.lilychinsignaturecollection.com/yarns.php?greenwich_village

The natural light photo most accurately represents the true color. I took the picture late on a very dreary day and I was only able to get one good shot before it got too dark. The other pictures were taken in my living room which is lit by two compact fluorescent table lamps. What a difference lighting can make! 

Jane2: I was quite surprised by the ease of the pattern. I know when I first saw a picture of the finished product, I got the impression that I was going to be difficult. After checking out the pattern and working out the yarn substitution it was easy sailing.         
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crendon
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010 09:50:38 PM »

That is ridiculously pretty!!! going to check out that pattern & put it on my list. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010 07:50:57 AM »

Do you think that this would work as a throw/afghan if I repated the patter 3 times. I am looking for a really beautiful pattern to truly pamper someone and this is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
JoAngel32
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010 07:35:33 PM »

Beautiful!  Love the color and it looks so soft!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
How to Fold an Origami Cat and Broomstick
How to Fold an Origami Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Millennium Falcon
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...