A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eczema and Polymer Clay  (Read 1511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2010 08:22:34 AM »

Ok this is a weird question and I don't know if any of you will know the answer but here we go...

I have very severe eczema and dry skin, pretty much all over my body and unfortunately I shed dry skin cells pretty badly most of the time.
I've found that when I work with Polymer clay after baking any skin cells that may have got on the work seem to rise to the surface. Although I try my best to be flake free when working on pieces it's obviously something I have a hard time controlling. I've also noticed that even if there doesn't seem to be any on the piece when it goes into the oven there is after.

Sorry this is maybe a bit of a gross subject but I would appreciate thoughts on why this happens and ways to prevent it?

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010 09:34:42 AM »

I've found that when I work with Polymer clay after baking any skin cells that may have got on the work seem to rise to the surface. . . . I've also noticed that even if there doesn't seem to be any on the piece when it goes into the oven there is after.

Are you saying that on a finished raw clay piece you don't see any cells, but after that piece is baked you see them on the surface of the baked clay?  If so, does the surface actually feel rough or are you just seeing something that looks like flakes/etc that can't be felt on the clay? 

If it's the latter, it could be that what you're seeing isn't skin flakes but "plaquing" which sometimes shows up when translucent-containing clays are baked (and even dark colors can qualify, especially Sculpey III colors). There are things you can do to control the plaquing or deal with it so let us know if that's the case.

If it's really flakes, you might want to check out the suggestions on this page at my site for avoiding dust (especially while making sculpted items), and also some of the suggestions for avoiding little clay bits or other bits getting onto white clay:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm ...click on these categories:
....Fingerprints, Smoothing, Dust
....White or Any Clay--Keeping Clean

You might also get some info from this page, under the Rashes and Allergic Reactions category:

I guess you could try slathering with something like hand lotion/etc just before you work with raw clay and maybe that would be a stop-gap for awhile, or perhaps make a lightweight forearm-covering to wear at that point.  The part-sleeve could be made from a woven or knitted fabric, tight or loose, and perhaps have thin elastic or a bit of knitted t-shirt ribbing at the wrist end to hold it in place and keep it out of your way?

If none of that helps, I can ask a friend and someone who does a lot of claying if that's a problem for her since she has a ecxema on her forearms and what she does about it.

Diane B.

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010 12:34:54 PM »

I would suggest just using gloves like I do. Keeps my hands and fingernails from getting clay on them, plus, I don't have to sand/buff as much because there are no fingerprint residue.

Rock, paper, scissors? Why, yes, I've used them all.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010 12:19:09 PM »

If you're worried about latex allergies, as well, you can use nitrile or neoprene gloves instead.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boy Left Paralyzed from Virus Walks Out of the Hospital
Mother with Phobia of Vomiting Faces Her Fears
Deaf Woman Victim of Burglary Knows Her Rights
Swimming Pools Are Full Of Poop
Mondays With Marlo - Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...