A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet and knitting patterns from 70s  (Read 26325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2005 05:45:57 AM »

So I discovered this section of crafster yesterday, and I so felt the urge to go and visit my local thrifstore...
On top of 3 balls of "alpaca and wool of highlands", 3 balls of cotton, crochet hooks and knitting needles (only ONE bamboo yummy 3 mm needle.. Have to go back to look for the other one..!  Wink   )

...  there was this huuuge pile of knitting magazines, including tons of issues of a kind of "encyclopedia of crafts" from the 70 s...  I've enjoyed so much that some of you have shared your vintage patterns before, (and they being all from the 70s I wouldn't think the copyright would be too much of an issue on these anymore) i thought maybe I'd share the fun... Of course they're all in french (as I happen to be french..!), but I'd be willing to translate some. So here's the deal:
I'm posting pics of the "best / most interesting "ones (in my opinion..), and if several people are interested and agree on some, I'll translate and put it up on my blog.
How does that sound ?

Some are crochet, some knit, ... and some have much longer patterns than others (the ELLE projects are super short, & yes that's patterns published in ELLE in the 70s)

Edit: You'll find translations for some of those patterns in following pages  +  scans of the original patterns in french if some of you still feel like translating them. ( blue lay bikini + purple crochet cape
And the two one piece swimsuits (with assorted mohair jacket), and the off-white lacy top and jacket (all in all, the 4 first "knit" pics). Scans are There

So, let's start with the crochet stuff :

(in the last blue pic, I was thinking mostly of the hat, which is crochet)

Now on with the knit patterns :

.. Hm, and one of my favorites, but I'm guessing it would be in the "longer to translate ones".. I'l still post it for now..

And lastly, some of  the ELLE patterns (they used to publish one in every issue, and those ones were compiled in a booklet.) I think they're fun.. or aren't they ?

... Wow, so I guess that's it. Tell me what you think

sylvie

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007 11:05:46 AM by SylvChezPlum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005 08:13:26 AM »

I LOVE, L-O-V-E, that grey floppy sweater from the ELLE patterns.  And the crocheted cloak.  Love.  Since posting the patterns is so much more work for you, since you have to translate them, than it is for us, who just scan, snip and upload, would you be interested in a trade for translations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 08:24:45 PM »

The orange and blue crocheted jacket near the very top looks interesting to me...I agree w/ Lothruin, trades maybe?
Good luck finding that other needle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
sivi
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005 10:53:00 PM »

I would love to see the child size cape pattern!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

storybook_farm
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005 07:46:14 AM »

I already postedabout lovingr this--the wrap-around sweater in red and gold--just a scan would be great --and i could do the translation--I'll trade you some of my handmade soap for the scan---Zoe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SylvChezPlum

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005 08:37:02 AM »

... About the "trade" issue, I'll sure be very glad if you want to share a cool pattern with me in return..!!  Tongue
But for a start, I'll try and post some, maybe the easiest to translate in the "asked for ones". We'll see afterwards how it goes, like if I have to translate one super long pattern for one person ect..

I'm not so sure yet wether I want to post them on my blog in the end.  So until I make my decision, I'll post  the first one here:

for you Lothruin (mm, and hopefully it can be of some use for others..?), the grey sweater from Elle :
Materials : (size "38" 950 g) size "40" 1000g (size "42" 1000g) of 4 ply shetland, a set of 5.5 mm needles
stitches used : "cotes perlees" (this is apparently called the "half cardigan rib, or Royal rib:  => see the edit at end of post about it !!)
on a odd nber of st,
1st row ; knit
2nd row : *p1, k1 picking into the previous row under the horizontal thread coming in front of stitch ( =?!!?)*p1
repeat always these 2 rows
Gauge 13 st / 28 rows = 10 cm (4 ") .
There are 3 sizes, (38), 40 (42), all three being just a variation on "regular sizes for a normal size woman", ie definitively XS, not XL...If that can help

Front Cast on (67) 71 (75) st and work in "cotes perlees" until work measures (63) 65 (67) cm high.
Cast off on eash side for shoulders :every 2nd row, twice (7) 8 (9) st. Knit 1 cm on the remaining 39 st for the collar hem, and cast off all stitches.

Back. Same as Front.

Sleeves. They are worked from bottom seam up. Cast on (61) 63 (65) st, knit (42) 44 (46) cm in cotes perlees and cast off.

FInishing . Seam the shoulders together, then the sides leaving an opening of (21) 22 (23) cm for the sleeves. Close the sleeves and join them to sweater.
Seam Hem of collar, and turn the back of sleeves..

----Mm.. now next on the list could be the red/gold wrap, also from Elle. How does that sound ?

---------------- EDIT ::
 I've just stumbled accross this little card that precisely explains the "cotes perles" (aka half cardigan/royal rib), so here's what they say :

1st row and every odd row: knit
2nd row and every even row : * p1, k1 inserting the needle under the st from one row before  (= a double stitch, ie you knit 2 st together and yet they are from the same "column" of stiches...)*    (help me with the translation !!)

Right, I'm not sure this is very clear, it's a bit hard for me to translate, anyhow this picture should help :

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005 05:18:59 AM by prunille » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rav - Craftsy
Mayviss
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 12:18:51 PM »

I am in love with the bikini - would love to see that pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SylvChezPlum

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005 12:21:47 PM »

which bikini ? first or second one ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rav - Craftsy
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005 12:25:01 PM »

Wow! I love the chevron-striped sweater/jacket and the twin set with the "V"-lace stitch pattern.  I have a bunch of U.S. knitting and crochet books from the 70s, but the stuff isn't nearly as nice or stylish as what you have just posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mayviss
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005 01:05:28 PM »

which bikini ? first or second one ?

I like the blue with blue trim first and foremost, but also think the green trimmed in blue is cute.  What a find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Fall Back in Love with Your Spouse?
Top 10 Notes: Jane Eyre
Hillary Clinton on the Message of Hard Choices
Antonin Scalia: A Court of One
Why Writers Are Chasing the Art World
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...