A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rainbow spiral tie dyeing TUTORIAL with only 3 colours...easy, messy and fun  (Read 11161 times)
Tags for this thread: tie_dye , rainbow , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 13, 2010 04:29:40 AM »

On one of the last warm days of summer I decided to do a bit of dyeing. And while I was at it I thought I would do a tutorial for rainbow spiral dyeing, as its easy when you know how.

Start with piece of prewashed cloth (to remove any starch) I used a square about a yard long/wide. Lay it flat on the ground in front of you and grasp the centre point and start to twist

it will look like this if you let go...dont let go.

keep twisting, keeping the fabric fairly flat to the ground, until you end up with a tight spiral of all of the fabric, arrange the pleats as you go to keep it fairly neat.

For a rainbow spiral, take three long pieces of string, carefully put the first one underneath, bring it to the top and tie off, do this with the two other pieces so that you have the fabric divided into 6 sections (I know a rainbow has 7 colours, but this is a good approximation)

tie off the string fairly tight (tighter than in this pic) and tuck in the loose ends so you have a neat package

I use the soda soak method of dying, with procion fibre reactive dyes, this means that the (dry) fabric gets soaked for about 20 minutes in a strong solution of washing soda and water.

I mix up red blue and yellow dyes, power and water, in disposable containers!..you only need about 1/2 pint of strong colours.

take out the fabric and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, keeping the spiral intact. Set it on the draining board of the sink..or work outside..it is messy.

'Fill' in three segmentswith your three primary colours, yellow, skip one, red, skip one, blue , skip one...( you will notice from the photos that I screwed this up..but it still looks OK, tie dyeing is very forgiving. You don't have to completely soak each segment, some white is good and will look good in the end. Don't worry about staying inside of the lines..as long as you have complimentary colours adjacent to the ones you are adding, they will blend and look great. I use a big paintbrush to put the colour onto the fabric.

then mix some yellow with red, and paint the 'empty' segment with the resulting orange, Ditto red and blue=purple and yellow and blue= green

its a messy process, my legs were interestingly patterned when I was done.

You can either put the spiral, very carefully into a plastic bag to allow it to soak for a while, this should increase the intensity of the colour a bit..or if you are like me, cut off the threads, rinse out the fabric to remove excess dye and glory in the eye-popping colour.

this is the  very best way to revive tired bedlinen, makes a great centre for a quilt and is just fun,

once you are done you might find you have dye left over, so scurry all around your house for tired white cotton clothing, chuck them in the soda soak and then have fun!

of course you can use this technique for any other spiral dyeing you want to do, one colour with white is always good, ditto two. I only own the primary colours of dyes (+black) and I mix whatever colour I want. The only thing to remember when tye dying is that if you end up mixing all three primary colours you will get a muddy result..

therefore if you wanted to dye something purple (red+blue) and green (yellow+blue) and they mix, you are likely to get a brownish muddy colour where they overlap. So stick to only two primaries at a time plus their mix

ie red, yellow and orange. Or blue green and yellow....or just make sure that there is a gap between the colours and you can mix it up to your hearts content.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010 04:58:25 AM »

I LOVE tye dyeing. I think you've inspired me to do it again. When I worked at a Girl Scout camp I was in charge of the tye dye and I'd start every session talking about very basic color theory and how you couldn't make a purple and green shirt (at least not with the kind of time we had) but my third and fourth graders just didn't get it.  I really like the pink and yellow one at the end of your clothes line!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010 05:17:54 AM »

thanks sweetie

I love that one too, red, yellow and orange. It was just a piece of fabric. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010 05:27:00 AM »

Awesome Tute, EdelC!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010 05:30:36 AM »

thanks abbeyroad. I love all of the tutes on here so much easier for visual learners like me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010 06:11:07 AM »

Ooo how fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010 06:30:24 AM »

I had no idea spiral tie dye was that easy!  thanks so much for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010 06:36:16 AM »

easy and fun! and fast...the most important criteria imho Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aurinko
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010 10:00:09 PM »

Just out of curiousity, what brand/type of dye do you use or recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010 03:32:09 AM »

I use any fibre reactive dye, the ones in these pictures are procion fibre reactive dyes, but I am not sure if that is a brand or simply a type!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound-Off: Rihanna, Kim K, Nikki Reed
Support Breast Cancer Awareness With These Pink Shoes
5 Ways To Wear a Leather Jacket
That Thong ... Done You Wrong
Get Model Street Style for Under $100
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...