A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Tutorial -- Changing Color in Tunisian Crochet  (Read 6942 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , crochet_stitch_tutorial , tunisian_crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OlalalaurenO

Mommy's little helper

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2010 05:48:59 PM »

I've had a few questions about changing colors in Tunisian crochet and since I'm not the greatest at explaining things I decided to make a little picture tutorial...I hope this helps everyone!!

Begin your crochet as usual and pull up a loop. I have done three stitches in my first row and am starting my fourth stitch here:

Pull the yarn through and you now have another stitch (I now have 4):

When you're ready to change your color, insert your hook into the next stitch and instead of pulling up a loop in the same yarn, grab your new color

And pull it through:

There are now 4 loops of one color and 1 new color loop (5 total) on the hook.

Again, insert your hook and pull up a loop in the new color:

Now there are 6 total loops, 4 in the old color and two in the new color:

Continue your stitches until you are ready to change color again (if you choose, if not just finish the row) Once you're ready to change color again repeat the process again of inserting the hook, pulling up a loop in the new color:

New color loop on the hook

Finish your row to the end and begin your return row. When you reach your color change you will have one loop of each color on the hook.

Draw the color you are changing to through both of the loops

Work until you need to change again and repeat the process--one loop of each color is on the hook, pickup color you are changing to and pull through the loops

I found that when I change color in the row I get this hole between the two colors on the return row

To close it all you need to do is take the previous color yarn and pull it, but not too tight

On the back you are going to need bobbins if you want to carry your colors up through the work.

It really depends on what you're working on whether you will want to carry your colors through or if you'll want to cut them and weave them in.

Your row is finished

I really hope this helped you all with questions or anyone wanting to know how this works. This may not be perfect and it is definitely not the only way I'm sure to do it but its what works for me. If you have more questions just let me know!!

PS: Sorry I did thumbnails but I didn't want to make the post like extremely long.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*Lauren*~

My Etsy!
http://theCraftyPrincess.etsy.com
Personal swaps are fun. We should try one.
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 10:24:31 PM »

woot!!! awesome!

now i can start my hubby's christmas present! tapestry crochet was just not working for it... the edges were too blurry.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010 09:23:34 PM »

looks great! thanks for taking the time to make a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krizzle
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010 12:08:44 AM »

After looking at the Joker blanket by pixieval, I was inspired to make my own Tunisian crochet blanket and this REALLY HELPS! Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010 11:59:17 PM by krizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fo shizzle.
OlalalaurenO

Mommy's little helper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010 08:32:54 PM »

I'm so excited that I was able to help you guys! I want to see the stuff you make so don't forget to post it!!
looks great! thanks for taking the time to make a tut!
It was either homework or making the tut. The tut won by a longshot lol Helping my fellow Craftsters is way more fun than computer programming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*Lauren*~

My Etsy!
http://theCraftyPrincess.etsy.com
Personal swaps are fun. We should try one.
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010 10:33:50 AM »

here's a question - let's say my chart is 30 stitches wide: do i "cast on" 30 or 31 stitches??

thanks for any help! i'm trying to finish a project in secret for my hubby before christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010 01:07:53 PM »

I know nothing about Tunisian crocheting, but I must say your Yorkie is adorable.  And thanks for the tut.  If I ever learn how, I'm sure I'll refer to this.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Mommy2jnd
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010 06:33:10 PM »

I'm trying to figure out the tunisian stitch with different colors, and I know how to change the colors now, but what I don't understand is what exactly counts as a stitch? How many loops of the new color would I need to pull up for, say, one square on a chart?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010 07:00:53 PM »

How many loops of the new color would I need to pull up for, say, one square on a chart?

Each loop on your hook during the forward pass counts as one stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluemonkey2784
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011 06:55:31 AM »

wow, thanks for posting this tutorial!  I'm going to take my first crack at a chart, and this should really come in handy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
How to Make Enchiladas Verdes
Home Made Short Rib Hamburgers Recipe
Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe
Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...