A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips on Mailing a Terrarium!!?  (Read 1351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Heartman
« on: October 12, 2010 03:37:07 PM »

I want to mail my boyfriend and my brother both a terrarium and they are away at college.
I'm thinking the best way to do it is to package the individual components in plastic bags and they can assemble them themselves with my crafty directions of course.  
(They are roommates (only a tiny bit awkward haha) so I only have one box to worry about.)
I know the jars will be fine, the stones, and probably the charcoal will be fine in bags.
Mailing takes two days (say I send it on Monday, it gets there Wednesday afternoon every time without fail).
But what about the moss and the soil? I think moss and soil should be fine in a plastic bag since thats the way you buy them at a store yes? But I don't want to suffocate them! Poor moss.. And anyways, I believe that moss and soil bags might have air holes in them at the store.
I know that plants will most likely die being in a dark box for two days that is thrown around at the post office so I think they can pick their own and add them.  They live in Southern California so it's not like they don't have selection!  Cheesy

Would moss and soil be okay to mail I guess is my question? (hmm.. oddly phrased sentence)

Also if you have any other ideas to include in my hopefully mailable terrarium (some possibly mailable plants perhaps?), please include them!!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 03:44:34 PM by Heartman » THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010 12:41:31 PM »

I think that if it only takes two days in the mail (and if they unpack them straight away) you should be fine. When we moved my moms rose was in a plastic bag in a shipping container for four weeks and it survived without any major damage. So two days for a carefree plant as moss should be fine. Moss can endure darkness without problem and if you're worried it will dry out just pack them in plastic bags.
This is the way I would go about it: take a plastic bag that can hold twice that amount of moss you want to send. Put some damp toiletpaper/kitchenpaper of cottonballs in the bag. Put in your moss. Close bag locking in air so the bag is like a balloon.
Another suggestion for plants could be airplants and succulents. I mailed succulent shoots to a friend once. I just wrapped the roots in a damp kitchentowel (paper) and wrapped a plastic bag around that. no problem.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Arrange Flowers Like a Pro
Creative Baby Shower Card Styles
All That Glitters: The History of Shiny Things
How to Crochet a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Make a Pyramid Gift Box
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...