A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AGH!!! OMG PLEASSSE HELP!!! Skittles Tube Sock Costume!!!!  (Read 5025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010 11:56:57 AM »

Ok, my brother asked me to make him a Tube Sock costume from the skittles commercial, like this...

I bought the material, it's white knit t-shirt like material. It's stretchy, which is what I'm freaking about. I'm not what you'd call and accomplished sewer. I need as many tips and hints as I can possibly get for sewing this type of material. Also any ideas on how to make a pattern for this. I've already talked to my brother and he said it doesn't have to be padded like this one, whew!, so would I basically trace him and tranfer it to the material and sew it up. I was thinking velcro in the back to keep it shut. I'd really like to do the front in one piece so there aren't any seam lines.

I think I may have bit off more than i can chew. lol we'll see though! Thanks!

***Update 10-18-10***
I went to Joann's this weekend and found the right type of fabric. A little bit thicker than t-shirt material and a bit more stretchy. I was so worried it was going to be impossible to work with. I cut off a little square and figured out what stitch and settings would work best and then got started. The first thing I discovered, the material was already in a tube! I got lucky that my brother is skinny and could fit in the tube so I didn't have to cut it open and work it that way. So I layed if flat sewed in some arm seams, and a crotch/leg seams. Since it was a tube after doing all that sewing, it was a big pocket with no way in. So I cut up the back, slapped in some velcro to close it, and called it a day. This is where I was at...

It's bunchy because he had a t-shirt and some cargo shorts on. The fabric turned out to be pretty see through Sad good thing he'll be wearing his white under armor under it. lol He said it was too hot to use any padding so that's how it's gonna stay. I'm going to make some little hand covers that are attached so he can take them off and use his hands or put them on for the full effect. Just gotta do that, adjust the leg length, and add the stripes and this bad boy will be ready to go! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 01:20:25 PM by l3ri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 12:19:19 PM »

Here's a great website about how to sew a stretchy full-body suit:

http://www.stretchy.org/

For the part up from the shoulders, you'll have to experiment. Just remember, you can trim fabric away, but it's nearly impossible to put fabric back.

As for sewing stretchy fabrics in general, prewash the fabric, use a ballpoint needle, and very gently pull the fabric taut as it goes through the machine (don't stretch it though!). Some people like to use a narrow zigzag, others like to use a stretch stitch if their machine has one, but I generally use a longish straight stitch and haven't had any problems. Test out your sewing skills on something like a shirt first so that you don't get super frustrated about the costume. Here's a couple from BurdaStyle that are free:

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/1-piece-kimono-tee
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/batwing-top
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/cowl-dresscowl-top
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/leg-of-mutton-knit-top

Have fun Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 12:25:32 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010 12:47:25 PM »

^^ all the same things I was going to say and more. Definitely test stitch an old t-shirt or something to get the feel for it. Specifically the pulling taunt but not stretching. It's not really hard, just go slow until you get the feel for it. Smiley Good luck. That costume looks kinda creepy but really cool... lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alesanddert
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010 01:05:38 PM »

I am so sorry I dont have any input to help but this is the best costume idea EVER!! if it works out please post pics!! That is my favorite commercial ever. He needs to have someone else play the old couple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010 03:18:38 PM »

Holy Cow! Thanks so much! That's perfect! I love you craftsters so much it's quite ridiculous really. lol

>>Alesanddert
   I'll def post some pics! Because we are having this years bash at my parent's my step dad said he might dress up as the old man, to which I said, "wouldn't be much of a change would it?" lol Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahBlais
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010 09:39:13 PM »

Kwik Sew has a pattern for a pair of footie PJs that might work..
http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3713&Cat=Men&Level=Sleepwear&QL=MenSleepwear
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Victoria Beckham Reveals What Gave Her Confidence
Beauty Expert: Color of Your Walls Might Change the Way You Look
How to Take the Best Selfie
How to Wear White Eyeliner
The 4 Best Products for Contouring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...