A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I make roving without a drum carder?  (Read 2776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« on: October 12, 2010 08:24:55 AM »

If I use a dog brush to flick the wool open, is there a way that I can take that and make it into roving? Or is roving solely from a drum carder?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 08:29:47 AM »

I use hand cards to make rolags - basically short bits of roving. It can be done with dog brushes, too, but they're not as sturdy.

There -is- a way to make roving with hand cards, but I haven't figured out how yet, so can't be much help there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010 01:34:19 PM »

I have a set of wool combs.  Once you're done combing the wool, you can pull it straight off the combs into a roving.  Here's a video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjimjv-b2aE  Incidentally, those are the exact combs I purchased and they are wonderful!!!  I bought them because I wanted to be able to deal with raw fiber, and I wanted to be able to blend colors and fibers, both of which you can do using combs.  I couldn't afford a drum carder, so it was combs for me.

I seem to remember a video on youtube or somewhere that showed someone taking carded wool off the carder, and instead of rolling it into a rolag left it in a flat piece.  Then they stacked up the flat pieces of carded wool and I believe they drafted it out.  I haven't tried it myself, but it'd be worth a try if you're wanting to avoid the expense of a drum carder.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JTravis10
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010 05:49:50 AM »

Hi nikscaf:

Where did you get those mounted careers?  They look awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010 10:06:07 AM »

I bought them from Benjamin Green.  He has an ETSY shop, though currently I don't see combs listed:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenjaminGreenStudio

He also sells them on eBay.  You can search with "wool combs" and you'll find them, though he doesn't have any listed there either.  I'll bet you could contact him though and he might have some in his workshop.

The quality of the woodworking is stunning -- the video just doesn't do them justice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 12:03:57 PM »

Totally late here, but the way I make roving is by carding it and then putting it on a hackle. My hackle's homemade; I got a stand-up breakfast tray, screwed a bunch of hair picks to the side, and use a guitar pick with holes drilled in to draw out a strip of roving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Repo Men - Watch This Instead
Feeding Your Crew at the Film Set
Avatar Post Team - Episode 4 - The Nuts-n-Bolts
Avatar Post Team - Ep 2 - Performance Matters
Screenwriting Software
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...