A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting and Crocheting for Pre-Mature Babies - a few questions  (Read 1152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyskies*4*
« on: October 11, 2010 07:15:59 PM »

My daughter is in Grade 9 and each student has do a project that will help the community. I made a few suggestions to my daughter, among them being to knit and/or crochet for premies, and my she liked that one the most, so that is her project. So, for those of you who do this, are there specific things to keep in mind? What colours are best? Does she just start making the items and deliver them to a local NICU? Or do we have to arrange this with the hospital ahead of time? Do different hospitals have different policies?  She has till June to work on this and she is really excited about doing this!

To be honest, it has inspired me as well, I may be adding items to her donation as well! My heart breaks thinking of what these parents go through and anything that helps them through those moments is so worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
nastij
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 11:15:22 AM »

http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingcommunity/qt/Knitting-Preemies.htm

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html

http://www.knitsforsanity.typepad.com/preemieproject/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010 04:01:15 PM »

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Thanks so much for the links nastij.

I finally found a contact name and number for our local Children's Hospital and now we can get this project off the ground! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010 04:13:00 PM »

Hopefully this helps someone else: Turns out that our local Children's Hospital (and possibly more hospitals?) no longer accepts knitted or crocheted items from the 'general public' since they have a Women's Axillary that makes those items. The issue is that some items were unraveling and some babies got fingers caught and it caused damage so they have a policy of not accepting these items anymore. BUT they do accept receiving blankets and other items that are sown since there is less of an issue with unraveling and of course, all loose threads need to be snipped.

The other thing the lady I spoke to mentioned is to remember that there is a family around these little guys and gals. The Mom's, Dad's and other family members need items like toothbrushes, gift cards for coffee, things to play with. Anything you would need if you had an unexpected (too early) hospital stay out of town.

My daughter is thrilled to be doing this project especially with the greater family in mind. Can't wait to see what she comes up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010 08:29:18 AM »

I'm way late on this, but if others are reading and want ideas, check out Care Wear.  They have lists of hospitals and what they take.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DerbyDarling
Roller Derby Goddess

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011 10:50:32 PM »

Oh good! My local hospital is listed with Care Wear! I'm going to call and double check everything that's needed then I'm going to sew my little hearts desire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roller Derby saved my soul... then broke my pelvis.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chicken with Broccoli Rice Bowl
Five New Orleans Classic Dishes
How to Cook Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
How to Make Chicken and Bacon Roll-Ups
How to Make Open-Faced Pimiento Cheese BLTs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...