A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
351 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt from Goodwill curtains IMG heavy.  (Read 2460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krizzle
« on: October 10, 2010 09:59:01 PM »

I'm new at this so I'm still trying to figure out this bit... T.T Everything was hand stitched, which is why it took me a while to make it... (I'm scared I might break my grandma's sewing machine.)

So! I went to Goodwill a few weeks ago and found this awesome vintage curtain panel!

It was listed as ten dollars, so I was a little uncomfortable buying it, so I asked my Mama, my craft guru, via picture mail (i love technology) if she thought it would be a cute skirt, and she said it would, so that sealed the deal. I went to buy it and it ended up being only five dollars! I was so excited! So after a day or two, this was the product:

Originally that strip of fabric was supposed to be the band, but then I was going through my bag of fabric and fabric scraps, and I found an unfinished chocolate brown scarf, and my brain exploded. Literally. So again, I asked my mother what she thought, and she liked it! So I rolled with the idea and started to crochet the band (incidentally crocheting took the longest).

And TADA!

The bow was supposed to have little dangles, but it didn't look right when I put it together. I'm sure I'll use them for something else.

I tried to add more detail to it, so I decided to use yarn for the hem instead of thread.

And because I'm a firm believer that every skirt should have pockets, but my original pocket idea wasn't well thought out. (I wanted flower pockets, but they don't look right with a puffy skirt and there was no way I was going to cut the seams to add pockets because I was hand sewing everything.) I decided to add a hidden pocket out of a scrap of an old Star Wars shirt that I had used to make a pig!

Here's what happened to the flower I made for a pocket. ALSO! I used an incomplete version of this patter for the flower: http://skamama.blogspot.com/2007/11/5-petal-flower.html I believe I stopped after round eight...

And here is me with the skirt on!

I finished it just in time for work too! My skirt was supposed to have suspenders. I might buy a pair from Goodwill or something and see if they work out, but right now I like the way it turned out. XD

Edit: THANK YOU MAREMARE for helping me figure out the images. I'm such a N00B! T.T
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010 10:31:52 PM by krizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fo shizzle.
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010 10:25:14 PM »

Wow! this makes such a beatiful skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runciblespoon
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010 06:21:19 AM »

It's turned out beautifully, I like the crochet especially.

Hope you decide to give the sewing machine a go sometime - it will feel so quick and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mivzi
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010 08:32:08 AM »

That is adorable Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayzebra
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010 08:48:38 PM »

Wow, at first I was skeptical. Mostly because the colors remind me of the carpet. But the final product is actually very cute. Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010 12:40:18 PM »

wow that is really cute i especially love how you did the waist band and the flower is cute to
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knittingjo
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010 12:44:31 AM »

Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I fund my yarn obsession by making funky doll clothes
www.nataliedrest.etsy.com
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010 01:52:29 AM »

I love everything about this - it's just wonderful.  The crochet waistband is genius (don't you love those inspirational brain blowing moments when you figure out how something could work?!!).  Really great work - can't wait to see what you come up with next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
krizzle
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010 11:50:59 PM »

Thank you for the compliments! And it does have a carpet sort of feel doesn't it? My grandparents used to have this awful green carpet in their house and whenever I look at this skirt, I think of it. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fo shizzle.
makeaneffort
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010 10:47:06 AM »

oh my i really love it  Grin looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Crafting Contagious Content with Emotions
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...