A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50's-style cherry dress!  (Read 8850 times)
Tags for this thread: vintage , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

person_thing
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010 10:32:57 PM »

CUTE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baileemartini
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010 11:51:11 PM »

i have tried to make this pattern 3 times, and every time it turns out wrong. I'm not sure who it was proportioned for, but it is not a regular body shape. and its not until after you sew all that binding on, and then add the snaps, that you realize that it doesnt fit. the back part that wraps around front falls way too low, the waist needed to be brought up several inches, which means the parts that button up then overlap and are too long, and they also end up overlapping so you can only see the contrasting fabric on the bust, not the lower skirt part, and the front piece has darts way too low, its like it was made for a 6 ft tall woman with a huge bust....

long story short, i commend you on making this work; I have three mostly finished versions of this made in 3 different sizes, none of which fit. all are sitting in my project bin and will probably never be finished. i like your fabric.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010 11:53:47 PM by baileemartini » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010 10:06:07 PM »

@person_thing Thanks! Smiley

i have tried to make this pattern 3 times, and every time it turns out wrong. I'm not sure who it was proportioned for, but it is not a regular body shape. and its not until after you sew all that binding on, and then add the snaps, that you realize that it doesnt fit. the back part that wraps around front falls way too low, the waist needed to be brought up several inches, which means the parts that button up then overlap and are too long, and they also end up overlapping so you can only see the contrasting fabric on the bust, not the lower skirt part, and the front piece has darts way too low, its like it was made for a 6 ft tall woman with a huge bust....

long story short, i commend you on making this work; I have three mostly finished versions of this made in 3 different sizes, none of which fit. all are sitting in my project bin and will probably never be finished. i like your fabric.

Thanks!  The proportions are definitely unusual.  What would have been a 3-hour project turned into twice as much.  I don't mind that the back part is lower than the front part but it would definitely be a pain to try to shorten that giant skirt (and lengthening the front you'd have to do ahead of time, and altering patterns before you sew something is beyond me!).  But anyways, I did a /lot/ of experimenting to try to get the proportions to be more reasonable.  I can't even tell you how much time I spent pinning the darts in different ways to see if I could make the bust smaller without also making it pointy and ridiculous :3  I think a lot of the problem with it is the disconnected-ness of the design itself.  The front is essentially backless, so my usual tricks for fitting things to my small bust were pretty much out the window.  And the weird one-button thing I did was an attempt to, among other things, offset the fact that the parts that button don't hit the places on my body that they look like they're supposed to hit (like...my waist).  It was definitely frustrating at times, but trying to figure out how to make something fit better is becoming one of my favorite challenges in sewing.  That, and taking apart stuff that doesn't fit and turning it into something different...which I think would be super fun with a pattern as weird as this one Cheesy  YOU SHOULD TOTALLY TRY ITTTTT. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011 03:43:10 PM »

I like the idea of the dress halves closing separately. I've gone through more size changes in all directions in the last years than I could count - one of these, when it could be tied up in the back and front instead of having to worry about exact placement of closures could be made to fit every day differently... sounds like something I'd like to try.
Congrats mclied for making it work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011 08:17:38 PM »

I like the idea of the dress halves closing separately. I've gone through more size changes in all directions in the last years than I could count - one of these, when it could be tied up in the back and front instead of having to worry about exact placement of closures could be made to fit every day differently... sounds like something I'd like to try.
Congrats mclied for making it work!

Yeah, it's pretty loose-fitting and therefore accommodates size changes pretty well.  Only trouble is that losing weight lets the waistline of the dress drop lower, and gaining weight pulls it higher, but if you don't mind that, then it works great Smiley
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartwonka
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011 09:17:51 PM »

Beautiful dress! It looks amazing on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiffany. Lover of rainbows and crafts. (^_^)
mclied
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011 06:31:30 AM »

Beautiful dress! It looks amazing on you!
Thank you!!! :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theskyturtle
Turtle In The Sky With Diamonds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011 09:43:30 AM »

wow, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blog about sewing, designing and making your own clothes and accessories: http://skyturtle.net
ducksquack
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011 06:42:20 PM »

This is so pretty! It sort of has a sense of elegance towards it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -Abraham Lincoln
mclied
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011 07:36:22 PM »

Thanks ducksquack and theskyturtle! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tasty Sashimi - Salmon, Tuna and Yellowtail
How to Make Your Own Dashi
How to Prepare Thai Tomato and Green Bean Salad
How to Make the Perfect Long Grain Rice
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Piri-Piri
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...