A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,533
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50's-style cherry dress!  (Read 9627 times)
Tags for this thread: vintage , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mclied
« on: October 10, 2010 04:30:21 PM »

First and foremost, forgive me for the awful picture quality.  My camera has no battery life so my boyfriend took it on his phone >.<  I'll take a new one soon and switch it out!

Here's the dress I just finished, the first thing I've completed in several months (I only just started sewing again about 6 months ago - it's been almost a decade since I sewed regularly!).  I used Butterick patten 4790 from Butterick's retro collection.  It's rated "very easy," but I wouldn't recommend it to beginners unless you have an "average" body shape (easy to fit), even though I love the dress! 

PS - the red dots on it are cherries, but it's a little hard to see.

I had to tweak it to make it actually fit me, which I knew would happen (but I'm too much of a noob to alter the pattern itself), but it was far more challenging than I expected.  The dress is a single piece: the front wraps around and buttons in the back, and the back wraps around and buttons in the front.  So it was tough to alter because the sides aren't really attached to anything >.<  Also, I absolutely HATE hand-sewing, and I'm awful at it, so up close, the buttons and snaps look pretty freaking bad XD  But even if it's not perfect, I definitely think it's wearable.  I'm super excited to get to wear it while I teach...it just seems like a teacher dress. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010 05:09:15 PM »

Oh that looks fabulous on you! Great work!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Fontiua
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010 05:11:57 PM »

OMG! I love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
aethelberga
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010 05:19:29 PM »

I think this looks great, and it's kind of an interesting concept, not being attached at the sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting in my cave
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010 05:54:20 PM »

This is great! So glad you posted a pic; I have the same pattern, but haven't made it, yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010 06:33:18 PM »

I've had this pattern for a couple of months now and have been searching for the fabrics I want to use for it! This looks great on you! And the cherry fabric is so cute Smiley Definitely a great teacher dress! And thank you for your insight to the pattern, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
mclied
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010 08:23:13 PM »

This is great! So glad you posted a pic; I have the same pattern, but haven't made it, yet.

It drives me nuts when patterns only have sketches instead of pictures on the front!  >.<
Just so you know when you make the dress, I only did one button/snap at the front to make the skirt actually open, otherwise it hangs closed.  I also added a piece of elastic around the back so the fabric wouldn't bunch up around the bust; I really recommend it!  It makes it a little harder to put on but it hangs better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mclied
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010 08:25:13 PM »

I've had this pattern for a couple of months now and have been searching for the fabrics I want to use for it! This looks great on you! And the cherry fabric is so cute Smiley Definitely a great teacher dress! And thank you for your insight to the pattern, too!

Thanks for the compliments!!  I love gingham for this dress Smiley  Also some tips on the pattern (copied from my response to another comment):

Just so you know when you make the dress, I only did one button/snap at the front to make the skirt actually open, otherwise it hangs closed.  I also added a piece of elastic around the back so the fabric wouldn't bunch up around the bust; I really recommend it!  It makes it a little harder to put on but it hangs better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mclied
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010 08:25:54 PM »

Thanks for all the compliments!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting in my cave
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010 07:46:42 AM »

I hate the illustrations, too! So unreal expectations.

Thanks for the tips! Especially the elastic and the hang with two buttons.

I looked through my stash and found a pink version of your fabric! LOL I was going to use it as an apron..pink gingham with cherries might be too bright for a dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010 03:42:34 PM »

very cute!

good job - this dress isn't QUITE as easy as the pattern implies, but still, the results are fab Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010 04:55:29 AM »

Its great.  I love that fabric.  So pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Audania1

I really want to go to Disney World again

Magic always comes with a price

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010 10:44:54 PM »

This is just adorable. It does make me think "teacher", too. In a very good way. It also makes me think "mom at the park with kids".....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got tons of new stuff in my store!: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyWyldChild?ref=ss_profile
My Pintrest: http://pinterest.com/audreynh/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010 06:45:28 AM »

that's super cute!  I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mclied
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010 11:54:08 AM »

Hahah, pink gingham might be kind of blinding for this dress!! XD  That would make an adorable apron though!  I've been planning on going on an apron-making spree for friends for Christmas Smiley

The pattern difficulty level is a little misleading but it was worth it.  Especially since it's so different from your typical dress pattern.

Mom at the park with kids...maybe in a few years >.>  We'll stick with "teacher dress" for now!!!  Hahah Wink

New pictures tomorrow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malurengifo

sewing the world's roads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010 08:35:58 AM »

Beautifull job!!! it's really amazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010 07:21:13 PM »

This is so cute!! I've seen this pattern before and I love it! Your version is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010 06:01:25 PM »

SQUEAL!!!

I totally fell in love with this pattern, and bought myself some cherry print fabric to make this, as well (great minds think alike?)! (I got cherries on white for the front, and cherries on black for the back/contrast, in my case).

It's just sitting in my pile of things I really want to make but don't have the time for... :-(

Anyway, yours turned out super nice. You've inspired me to get moving on mine! And thanks for the tips you shared!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
wtfspiderpig
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010 01:27:33 PM »

I love this pattern, I can never get it to fit me right tho, i have to alter it too...cute fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010 12:28:48 AM »

Thanks everyone!!

Hahah graverobbergirl that sounds so cute!  I originally wanted to do the contrast but I couldn't find a combination of fabric that I liked as much as the cherries.  Heheh, if it makes you feel any better I had the fabric and pattern sitting around for this for almost a year before I got around to it.  It comes together pretty quickly though, you should whip it up!!

wtfspiderpig Do you alter the pattern or the finished product?  I haven't figured out the art of altering patterns before you actually make something but I imagine it would save a lot of fabric and hassle if you could do it right.

FOR SERIOUS I WILL ACTUALLY POST A NON-PHONE PICTURE SOON.  Garsh I am super on top of things :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

person_thing
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010 10:32:57 PM »

CUTE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baileemartini
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010 11:51:11 PM »

i have tried to make this pattern 3 times, and every time it turns out wrong. I'm not sure who it was proportioned for, but it is not a regular body shape. and its not until after you sew all that binding on, and then add the snaps, that you realize that it doesnt fit. the back part that wraps around front falls way too low, the waist needed to be brought up several inches, which means the parts that button up then overlap and are too long, and they also end up overlapping so you can only see the contrasting fabric on the bust, not the lower skirt part, and the front piece has darts way too low, its like it was made for a 6 ft tall woman with a huge bust....

long story short, i commend you on making this work; I have three mostly finished versions of this made in 3 different sizes, none of which fit. all are sitting in my project bin and will probably never be finished. i like your fabric.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010 11:53:47 PM by baileemartini » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010 10:06:07 PM »

@person_thing Thanks! Smiley

i have tried to make this pattern 3 times, and every time it turns out wrong. I'm not sure who it was proportioned for, but it is not a regular body shape. and its not until after you sew all that binding on, and then add the snaps, that you realize that it doesnt fit. the back part that wraps around front falls way too low, the waist needed to be brought up several inches, which means the parts that button up then overlap and are too long, and they also end up overlapping so you can only see the contrasting fabric on the bust, not the lower skirt part, and the front piece has darts way too low, its like it was made for a 6 ft tall woman with a huge bust....

long story short, i commend you on making this work; I have three mostly finished versions of this made in 3 different sizes, none of which fit. all are sitting in my project bin and will probably never be finished. i like your fabric.

Thanks!  The proportions are definitely unusual.  What would have been a 3-hour project turned into twice as much.  I don't mind that the back part is lower than the front part but it would definitely be a pain to try to shorten that giant skirt (and lengthening the front you'd have to do ahead of time, and altering patterns before you sew something is beyond me!).  But anyways, I did a /lot/ of experimenting to try to get the proportions to be more reasonable.  I can't even tell you how much time I spent pinning the darts in different ways to see if I could make the bust smaller without also making it pointy and ridiculous :3  I think a lot of the problem with it is the disconnected-ness of the design itself.  The front is essentially backless, so my usual tricks for fitting things to my small bust were pretty much out the window.  And the weird one-button thing I did was an attempt to, among other things, offset the fact that the parts that button don't hit the places on my body that they look like they're supposed to hit (like...my waist).  It was definitely frustrating at times, but trying to figure out how to make something fit better is becoming one of my favorite challenges in sewing.  That, and taking apart stuff that doesn't fit and turning it into something different...which I think would be super fun with a pattern as weird as this one Cheesy  YOU SHOULD TOTALLY TRY ITTTTT. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011 03:43:10 PM »

I like the idea of the dress halves closing separately. I've gone through more size changes in all directions in the last years than I could count - one of these, when it could be tied up in the back and front instead of having to worry about exact placement of closures could be made to fit every day differently... sounds like something I'd like to try.
Congrats mclied for making it work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011 08:17:38 PM »

I like the idea of the dress halves closing separately. I've gone through more size changes in all directions in the last years than I could count - one of these, when it could be tied up in the back and front instead of having to worry about exact placement of closures could be made to fit every day differently... sounds like something I'd like to try.
Congrats mclied for making it work!

Yeah, it's pretty loose-fitting and therefore accommodates size changes pretty well.  Only trouble is that losing weight lets the waistline of the dress drop lower, and gaining weight pulls it higher, but if you don't mind that, then it works great Smiley
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartwonka
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011 09:17:51 PM »

Beautiful dress! It looks amazing on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiffany. Lover of rainbows and crafts. (^_^)
mclied
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011 06:31:30 AM »

Beautiful dress! It looks amazing on you!
Thank you!!! :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theskyturtle
Turtle In The Sky With Diamonds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011 09:43:30 AM »

wow, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blog about sewing, designing and making your own clothes and accessories: http://skyturtle.net
ducksquack
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011 06:42:20 PM »

This is so pretty! It sort of has a sense of elegance towards it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -Abraham Lincoln
mclied
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011 07:36:22 PM »

Thanks ducksquack and theskyturtle! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewshayna
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011 02:11:21 PM »

i have this pattern too! i have this beautiful silk chiffon i wanted to try out using for this dress, but i'm too scared to cut it, haha. one day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011 08:53:56 AM »

i have this pattern too! i have this beautiful silk chiffon i wanted to try out using for this dress, but i'm too scared to cut it, haha. one day...

Hahahah that's such a love-hate feeling isn't it?!  It always makes me nervous when I first cut into fabric XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JXsMommy
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011 07:57:32 PM »

Wow this turned out great! I know exactly what you mean about the sketches. Joann's had a sale on Butterick patterns a few weeks ago and I passed on this one because I was uncertain about how it'd actually look on a real body:(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheekz
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011 04:24:12 AM »

I've always wanted a dress like this! My double-G-mom had one like this...I should make one in a bold floral fabric.

Wonderful job!!!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011 11:30:21 AM »

Thanks Cheekz and JXsMommy!
A floral fabric would be fun for this for sure Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Change Me Prayer with Tosha Silver
Bethenny Frankel on Love and Relationships
An Introduction to Frankenstein Analysis
Bethenny Frankel Is NOT Into Online Dating
Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author David McCullough on the Importance of Librarians
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...