A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,679
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: basement craft space  (Read 1714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2010 10:51:02 AM »

How do I make this disaster into a craft space? I have gotten premission to cover the wall under the stairs. I also intend to extend the shelf under the stairs out for a desk. The metal thing is open on the other side so it can be used to hold magizines. Should I spray paint it? As the second picture shows, im stuck dealing with old pipes and only get a curtain for a side wall. my space is about 7 feet deep and around 8 ft accrossed. What can I do to make this look less basementy and more crafty? I do have a rug that will cover some of the floor. 
First picture
second picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
tomico
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010 11:24:00 AM »

OK, there a couple of things I would suggest. Storage is a big factor in any craft space. How you craft is even more important.
   I sew a lot so I would see those shelves as somewhere to store my big bins of fabric. I would remove some of the shelves to make room for the bins or make a seperate shelf unit.
   Fabric that you like the look of but don't really want to create with could be used to cover some of the walls or over the shelf unit. Use color to brighten up the space. You could paint the concrete a nicer color with a concrete paint or even use a concrete stain. if you have a lot of papers you could use decopague' to brighten the area.
   Do you, or anyone you know, know how to dry wall? You could cover the area under the steps or you could add some shelves with brackets onto the studs and create more storage. Even small shelves are usefull for paper backs or jar nooks.
   With limited space you may have to consider things that retract against the wall to put away such as cutting tables or ironing boards. You could make use of some of the aKward space by making carts on wheels that slide under areas that are too small.
   You will need to make sure you have plenty of task and ambiant lighting since you are in a bacement. If you can get some full spectrum florecent you may be happier. Make sure you have some lights directly over your work area that don't cast shadows over your work.
   If all else fails pay for a plane ticket and I'll come over and play with you. Hee hee.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010 05:10:28 PM »

Dry walling is easy isnt it? We have a contractor for a freind so drywall may happen. I dont do alot of sewing but I am gonna need a table. What color would you reccomend for the shelves? Im open to pretty much anything. I do alot of scrapbooking,painting,designing, doll house designing,beading and looming (beaded). Light is going to be a pain in the you know what! I dont know if I even get a outlet Sad Im not alowed to paint the concrete. Is there a way to mount fabric on concrete? Or wallpaper? or anything?  Thanks so much for letting me bounce my doomed room off you! My bedroom was so much eaiser to figure out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010 06:23:12 AM »

What a challenge! But at the end, the prize will be a crafty space you look forward to working in!

It's horribly hard to get anything to stick to concrete blocks, especially in a basement where the walls tend to be strange temps and a bit damp. SOMETIMES hot glue will stick for longer than 24 hours...but I"ve never tried it on unpainted walls before.

Since you're not allowed to paint the concrete, how about hanging a tension bar behind the shelving unit to hold up a pretty sheet you've sewn a rod-pocket in? That's easy, and you can change it out if you get bored with the fabric.

If you could secure the tension rod really well at both ends (on the side walls) and in the middle (attach to that beam hanging down?) you could maybe even sew on a few pockets for storage of lightweight things like scissors, hole punches, rulers, etc.

You could, with the right tools (electric drill/concrete bit/wall anchors for concrete and suitable screws), screw fabric panels in, too, but the tension curtain rod would be easier, and you could change it out without a lot of fuss.

One question: I haven't had a basement since I was a kid (in Lousiana basements become swimming pools!), so I have to ask about what you're working with. If it's damp down there--even ever-so-slightly like my childhood home's basement was--paper's going to curl, right?

Good luck with the space! Happy crafting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010 05:44:34 PM »

Ours isnt damp. Its a pretty nice basement. my aunts girls have a whole play area in the unfinished area. My mom and I have finished bedrooms. I think the three biggest problems are: 1)lack of outlets 2) concrete walls 3) Its heated but darn cold all winter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
tomico
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010 09:05:30 AM »

Putting in outlets in basements is very easy but you should have a professional do it because it needs to follow code. Asking for estimates is free and they may be able to help with suggestions and what you could feasably add into your breaker box.
   I have florescent lights in my basement and in my craft room we added a few hard wired strip outlets. The convenience is great. I have can lights I hung under the craft room shelves for task lighting and over head I hung strip lights that can be angled. Even getting a lamp and a chair where you can comfortably work would help.
   Two books to read that were very useful to me are Organizing Your Craft Space by Jo Packham and Setting Up Your Sewing Space: From Small Areas to Complete Worksops by Myrna Giesbrecht (which had an exact example of an understairs work space such as yours). You may want to borrow them from the library or buy them from "Half Price Books." If not, I believe you can get them from Amazon.
    Color is personal but you may want to stick with light colors in a basement because of the lack of light. Light reflects and dark absorbs. Also keep in mind color can change the appearence of the color of the items you are working with. I took a whole class on color theory and when painting things for class I usually had to work outside to see the truest color.
   I hope I've helped, but I fear I may have added more to your questions.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Envelope
How to Make a 2 Cup Pencil Holder
How to Fold an Origami Pencil Cup
How to Create Covers for CDs and DVDs
How to Fold an Origami Bow-Tie
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...