A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jellyfish (Man O' War) hat? Construction help needed!  (Read 2132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JadedMoonlight
« on: October 09, 2010 12:16:50 AM »

Instead of trying to transform my whole body on a budget, why not just have one of the most infamous jellyfish (colonies) sitting on my head, tentacles cascading all down my body?

http://beyond.australianmuseum.net.au/images/400/j032.jpg
http://i1.treknature.com/photos/261/portugese-man-of-war.jpg

For those of you that are unfamiliar, the Portuguese Man O' War Jellyfish is a conglomerate of a few jelly species working together to create a biological fiend. Stringing tentacles that can reach up to 30m long trail along under a buoyant sail of a body, trapping unfortunate animals in its wake (Well, they just drift, but whatever).
They're SUPER pretty too, so look up a photo on google images or something. The colors on their sail are INCREDIBLE.

I'd really like to create a little hat like structure for myself to wear. I figured I'd just wear all black (leggings and top), with this cascade of ruffled fabric cascading down, perhaps some wool dreads if I learn to make them. Mardi gras beads or those curtains made of beads would also give me the other tentacle type.
But what of the sail?!

my beautiful paint image of what I'm somewhat imagining. Hahaha. I think that beigestuff would come down more like earflaps - maybe the sail could be mounted on a hat with earflaps?

Is anyone familiar with any sort of material that would be stiff, malleable, and translucent enough for the sail? Could I maybe just make it with plastic and something hot (and how many dangerous fumes would that release)? Any feedback much much much appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 10:22:14 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
3Gs4Me
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010 03:18:33 AM »

Here is a link to a Jellyfish costume at Family Fun.  Maybe it will help give you some inspiration.

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/jellyfish-costume-785313/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soulmate to T and mama to 3 G's.  Avid sewer, crafter, gardener, and all around creative being!
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010 08:22:35 AM »

First thing I thought of looking at your picture was a shower cap... they're clear and you could try to modify one to what you need. I don't think they're very expensive, either, but I've never had to buy one, so I'm not exactly sure...
Good luck on your costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
moonshinecandy
DichotomyDiva

the trick is to learn to live with yourself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010 11:09:34 AM »

I saw something online about a jellyfish man of war costume once........can't remember the url.....but the lady had used a clear umbrella, or had reconstructed one and covered it with clear plastic and bubble wrap and left some to hang for the tentacles..what about making a hat or mini hat and making it kind of pouffy with plastic wrap, clear plastic, and bubble wrap?Huh......if you had some sturdy plastic bags that were clear you could blow them up with air and add them as well....Huh  I don't know, just throwing out ideas here......good luck, I can't wait to see the rest of the pics when you are finished!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..you say that like it's a bad thing...
DawnsTrees
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010 02:37:50 PM »

You could try using wire and nylons (like the fairy wings). That would be nice and light on your head and possibly give you the structure to hang your tentacles from...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010 06:42:33 AM »

I made a jellyfish costume out of a hula hoop a few years back. I had really stiff plastic that I hotglue to it, and a trail much like what you describe. I made the trail almost down to the floor, and it was great! It moved and shivered as if it had a life of it's own. Half of the the tentacles were made of the same plastic as the cap, cut in thin stripes, the rest out of pearls and lace. I painted a layer of plastic for the cap and hotglued it as an interfacing layer with some cellophane wrapping as stuffing in between to give it a bit of thickness. It looked pretty cool, I think with blacklight or glow in the dark it would look awesome! I don't have any photos here, but maybe the description gives you some inspiration! Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchstuff
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010 03:16:25 PM »

For a recent show I did we made a buncha jellyfish headpieces out of Ikea lamp shades, the round lantern ones.  They're 5-7 bucks each & you can put a glow stick in it to make it light up!  We affixed it to heads using a funny technique:
1-Cover top & back of head with plastic shopping bag
2- Have friend wrap clear tape around head till you have a firm custom base
3-Wire/ sew/ otherwise affix lantern to head.

We did tentacles with strips of bubble wrap & ribbon.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Strategist Improves Creative Career Skills
How to Improve a Business Strategy Presentation
Reconstructing the Japanese Farmhouse Minka
What It Means to Lead in Innovation Consulting Job
Exhibit Tour: Prada and Schiaparelli at The Met
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...