A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make things stick straight out from clothing?  (Read 789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

callmejen
« on: October 20, 2010 07:47:08 PM »

I know that's a vague description, but here goes.

I'm working on a costume of a voodoo doll, and i want to make the pins movable, so people can grab them and put them on a number of spots on the outfit.  I know it needs to be lightweight and non-stabby but how to actually make it actually stay straight out is difficult for me to figure out.  My plan is to make them short... only 3-4 inches so they are noticeable and identifiable, but not short enough that everyone has to grab my boobs to move it around. 

Right away I thought of those nerf arrows with the velcro tips, but they don't look very pin-like.  I think velcro is my easiest route, but i think magnets would help them stay up properly. 

Any ideas on materials or methods?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickenfeet
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010 08:01:43 PM »

Are the areas going to be really specific on the costume?  If so you could attach blocks of styrofoam painted to match your costume and use chopsticks/bamboo skewers/long fireplace matches that would stick into the blocks easily and probably would stay there.  Regular matches would work in a thin piece of foam, too.  Might look weird if it is a really form-fitting outfit though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callmejen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010 08:23:17 PM »

I had decided on about 5 spots... broken heart, pain in the ass, pain in the neck, upset stomach (or hangover) and If I can swing a headband with the design then a headache.  Maybe tennis elbow or a charlie horse too; I'm not totally set on those though.  I figured I would make them very noticeable so people know where they can and cannot go - a heart shape, an asterisk on the ass, frowny face for the stomach or things like that, or writing aorund the areas that can be used.

I like the styrofoam idea.  That might just work, but it will depend on the clothes.  I havent decided between just a dress with a few mods made to it, or sewing a few bits of 'scraps' together to make it look more authenic.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickenfeet
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010 08:28:56 PM »

It sounds really neat!  If you did go with the styrofoam, maybe you could cut it into the shape you want for the area?  Hope it works out well, I love interactive things like this.  I bet you'll be the hit of the party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pilarfarmer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010 10:45:06 AM »

i would use styrofoam and skewers, get some of that model magic clay to make the "pin heads" it is very light like marshmellos and won't weight them down.
i am making the same costume for this year. i am usind a brown fabric and making a whole suit including head, i am using black plastic window screen to make button eyes and a small peice for the mouth so i can drink and see it will look like the doll on this link. http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=3662
attach a thick peice of styro to the inside of the areas where you want to stick a "pin" by glueing a peice of fabric over the styro to hold it in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There is a correlation between the creative and the screwball."
Kingman Brewster, Jr., educator

"Where there is fear, there is no creativity"
Christopher Lowell

would love to do small personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Speedy Last Minute Party Makeup
Your Ultimate Guide to Flawless Eyebrows
DIY Skincare
FIRST LOOK: Bora Aksu - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week
Gwenyth Paltrow Partners with Organic Beauty Brand
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...