A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sc-fi dinner set (Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly )  (Read 13990 times)
Tags for this thread: farscape , firefly , battlestar_galactica , bowl , plate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2010 11:09:58 PM »

Warning! serious geek alert!   Grin

this is the start of a sci fi themed tableware set for my o/h christmas pressie. im planning to the larger ships such as Galactica and Moya or maybe Destiny from STU on the larger plates, im not sure what to do on the other bowl (painting somthing fiddly inside a small bowl was a bit of a bugger  to say the least Roll Eyes )
these are painted on pre made bisque with black underglaze then dip glazed and fired. (some these pictures were taken before they were fired, hence the lack of shine, but its proving hard to take some decant pictures of the finished plates without him knowing Roll Eyes  )
i put some of his favourite quotes from each one the back Smiley

DRD from Farscape (this one is my favourite!  Grin )

Serenity from Firefly (the quote on the back reads 'Lets be bad guys' )

Cylon raider from Battlestar Galactica

advice and comments are more than welcome Smiley

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010 05:40:15 AM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staar84
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010 11:30:11 PM »

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen! I wish my plates looked like this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
Lody
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010 12:22:12 AM »

Skills, you've got them! Hehe. I can never draw "technical" things like that, nevermind on a plate. Did you just eyeball them?
Also I love how your lines are dynamic, not just same size all over.  That in black on a white plate means you had no chance for error right?!

Awesome stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
nougatgee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010 01:32:24 AM »

what a super pressie!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010 06:49:45 AM »

these are AWESOME!!! I love them!! How about one of Moya? (oops, I see you already said that!) or the Millennium Falcon?
I love these but couldn't have them in my house because my husband and I would fight over which one to have dinner on.
so cool, hitting "this rocks"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
spikefan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010 09:18:03 AM »

Awesome! Especially love the Farscape and Firefly ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010 11:41:07 PM »

thanks Smiley

...' Did you just eyeball them?
Also I love how your lines are dynamic, not just same size all over.  That in black on a white plate means you had no chance for error right?!'.....

i sketched the designs on paper first then used carbon paper to transfer the design to the bisque. the 'dynamic lines' are the result of a very small brush and many many hours...(i find i have greater control with a brush especially for precision work)
to a certain extent you *can* correct mistakes. the black paint i used stains the bisque, ie once its there...thats it. you could do a base coat of white all over then paint the design on top and any mistakes could be removed with a scraffito tool (or a craft knife). you may also find the scraffito sometimes leaves grey/silver marks Roll Eyes which is why its usualy a good idea to do a base coat under a second/third colour when using this technique Smiley

i did the designs straight onto the bisque...you can remove mistakes like this using a scraffito or craft knife but doing so extensively creates grooves and ridges in the surface of the bisque which if deep will be visible under the clear glaze. so you really want to keep mistakes to a minimum.

.....'or the Millennium Falcon?'....

i did think of doing that but though he likes starwars he not a fan to the same extent he is of firefly and BSG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010 12:48:55 AM »

That is AMAZING! Firefly is my favorite--I'd do anything to serve my food on those dishes!! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomicjam
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010 12:07:40 AM »

oh wow! I just saw these on your flickr page and had to come find them here... [geek] I love BSG! and Firefly!  Spaceships are the coolest thing. You should definitely do a Viper Mk.II from Galactica (BY far the best spaceship ever invented). The mark VII's are alright i suppose, but all that newfangled 'streamlined' stylising makes them look too tacky. The hard lines of the Mk.II's (or even the mk.I's) are much more striking.
http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/kg_cg_viper_mk2-019.jpg
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=497
The Millenium Falcon is also a good ship - lots of cargo space and can easily be fixxed on the fly - But Serenity has all that too, plus it looks better and has much better handling. Both make great space smuggling ships.
And I don't like the new cylon raiders too much but your drawing of it is excellent. What quote did you put on the back of it (the battlestar one)?

[/geek]

lol  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010 01:00:14 AM by atomicjam » THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010 10:01:51 PM »

a lot of people have told me i should do starwars but while he liked the films hes not the biggest fan Undecided 

in regard to the clyon raider plate, i left the back blank as i could recall what his favourite quotes from the show were (unlike farscape and firefly where i had too many to chose from Grin )
i might suggest a BSG rerun night when i do the bigger plates so i can put one on one of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Modern Topsy Tail Updo
How to Style Second Day Hair
Curly Hair Updo
Dry Shampoo Use
How to Get a Loose Side Braid
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...