A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Best Pumpkin Recipes!!  (Read 11759 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , pumpkin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010 01:01:02 PM »

Thanks for the simple spice cake recipe!  I love having recipes like that for emergency--quick and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010 02:20:24 AM »

Alright you sweet tooths, here's a simple FOOD recipe. Good for picnics and stuff!

Don't have a pic right now, so you'll have to just imagine it Wink

Pumpkin portion pies

Ingredients
Puff pastry dough
Sweet pumpkin of some sort (or sweet potato if you need to substitute it)
Marinated, diced feta cheese
Roasted pine nuts
Sesame seeds
fresh oregano
An egg and some milk
olive oil
salt
black pepper
ruccola salad mix to serve

For measurement comparison, I tend to use sweet potato when I can't get a hold of some sort of sweet pumpkin, and one potato is more than enough for four of these portion pies. You'll want about an equal amount of feta and pumpkin.

Dice the pumpkin into small dices and put them in an oven pan. Drizzle oil over it and spice with salt and pepper, then roast for about half an hour on 225C until they start to go brown in the edges.

Get square sheets of puff pastry dough, about 15-20cm wide. Pile some pumpkin, feta and pine nuts in the middle, with a few leaves of fresh oregano. Bring the corners to the center and pinch them together, then pinch along the seams to close the pie. Repeat for however many you're making (they're so tasty I tend to eat two if I'm having them for dinner, though one would probably suffice!).

Whisk an egg with some milk and brush over the pies, then pour some sesame seeds over them and a little salt. Bake in the oven for approx 15 minutes, or however the puff pastry dough package says it should be cooked Cheesy (you might need a little more than what the package says for the dough to cook through properly... note that it won't really puff like normal due to the egg+milk mix we brushed over it!)

Serve with a ruccola salad mix, preferably with a balsamic vinaigrette.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
kathpeak
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010 03:30:33 AM »

Hi pumpkin lovers!
I am over here in Ireland where pumpkins are used for cutting up for Halloween.
A lot of people are surprised to hear that you can eat pumpkin.
My question is this... lots of recipes call for "pumpkin pie spice". What is in this?
Is it like dutch Speculaas spice mix?
20 grams cinnamon
10 grams ground nutmeg
5 grams ground cloves
a pinch of cardamom powder
a pinch of ginger powder
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must not come lightly to the blank page." - Stephen King
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010 03:33:30 AM »

I just checked my container and it's a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010 06:31:11 AM »

What a fabulous thread idea! I am so in the mood for fall stuff and pumpkin baking is now at the top of my list!

There are so many scrumptious sounding recipes up already that I worry mine might just be overkill, but I couldn't resist... These are my mama's Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies that kick butt like the day is long. Blue ribbons at the county fair, every time! I worked it up on a recipe card template from messyvegetariancook.com for my co-workers, so I figured I'd just post that for simplicity's sake. Happy baking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sillymomma
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010 03:10:46 PM »

OK, this my improved version of a tried and true family recipe that my mom won a recipe contest with!! I hope you all love this recipe as much as I do, it's definately a MUST HAVE for a relaxing October/November family dinner! It's called MEAL IN A PUMPKIN, and looks sort of like the picture above (depending on how much veggies/meat you add to your rice!)

Ingredients:
1 medium sized pumpkin
5 cups brown rice
1-2 lbs meat (you could use ground beef, shredded chicken, or shredded pork)
1/4-1/2 lb. carrots
crushed garlic
1 medium sized onion
1/4-1/2 lb celery
8 cups chicken broth (or you could mix 1/2 broth 1/2 water)
fresh basil leaves
olive oil
salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
1. cut a hole in the top & hollow out your pumpkin.
2. In a food processor/chopper, finely chop the carrots, onion, celery, basil, (and also add the garlic). Fry up chopped veggies in the olive oil (perhaps adding a bit of water so it doesn't dry out).
3. In a separate pan, cook your meat. If it's chicken/pork, you will need to shred or chop it afterwards.
4. In the stockpot add rice, meat, and measure out broth. Add salt & pepper. Bring rice/veggie/meat mixture to a boil on high, then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Fill the pumpkin with rice mixture, place the lid on top, cover with tin foil and place on a cookie sheet.
6. Put on the BOTTOM RACK of the oven and bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a knife inserts easily into the side of the pumpkin.
7. To serve, scoop rice out with a large spoon, and cut a piece of pumpkin away (starting from the top) in pieces.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010 03:27:52 PM by sillymomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps? I would love beautiful/useful polymer clay items, fashion accessories, anything oriental or oceanic, or jewelry? PM me if I can make something for you! Custom glass etchings, beaded jewelry, collage artwork, winter hat/scarfs, write-on calendars, custom name boards, cookies-in-a-jar
ollieorange
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010 05:27:42 PM »

I just made a yummy pumpkin soup for dinner. I guess I should've paid attention to what I did- I could've posted the recipe!
I can't wait to try making the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010 07:45:57 PM »

wow that stuffed pumpkin recipe looks divine! I think I'll make an herbivore version sometime this week Wink thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sillymomma
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010 08:12:17 PM »

About the stuffed pumpkin - Yes, that recipe could have a million variations! You could substitute beans or mushrooms perhaps if you're vegetarian. My mom's version has tomato paste with hamburger, and my mother in-law likes to put gandule beans, peppers, cilantro, and achiote oil with her rice. So that would be good too! I've even made an oriental rice with chicken, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, onion & soy sauce that went really good stuffed in a squash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps? I would love beautiful/useful polymer clay items, fashion accessories, anything oriental or oceanic, or jewelry? PM me if I can make something for you! Custom glass etchings, beaded jewelry, collage artwork, winter hat/scarfs, write-on calendars, custom name boards, cookies-in-a-jar
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010 05:03:09 AM »

It's a shame most sweet recipes like this called for canned pumpkin or pumpkin pur... I don't even know where to GET canned pumpkin Huh It's not common food in sweden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: Jenny Packham Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Get a Tight Top Knot
What You Need to Know About the Newest Hair Trend: Babylights
Questions to Ask Your Stylist When Thinking of Going Natural
VF NEWS: Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...