A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Best Pumpkin Recipes!!  (Read 11218 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , pumpkin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010 06:59:10 AM »

Melladh, If you want, you could always buy a pumpkin, gut it, wash it, chop it up and steam it until it's mashable.  It freezes well for up to 6 months, and you just trade it straight across with the measurement required for the canned pumpkin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liltea
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010 11:53:52 PM »

Check out these DELICIOUS pumpkin cupcakes I made and posted. Yumyumyumyum!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361927.0

T
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010 06:53:23 AM »

I buy fresh neck pumpkins because all of the neck part is pumpkin and no seeds!

I cut it into pieces, boil it, the skin peels off, then mash it and freeze it in bags...it works just the same as canned pumpkin...

The stuffed pumpkin looks great!!  Thanks for all of the variation ideas!

Has anyone tried cooked kabocha pumpkins?  They are sort of sweet...

I keep printing off all of these yummy recipes...keep them coming! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010 07:26:51 AM »

Melladh, If you want, you could always buy a pumpkin, gut it, wash it, chop it up and steam it until it's mashable.  It freezes well for up to 6 months, and you just trade it straight across with the measurement required for the canned pumpkin Cheesy

Thanks for the tip! ...now I only wish I had a freezer. Or appropriate pumpkins. I hear field pumpkins don't really work for cooking? Well, I read it somewhere. We have... butternut pumpkin/squash, field pumpkins and decoration pumpkins (those fist sized things). I'm not sure if I've seen any other kind here. Any of those work? Huh

-edit- apparently we also get something that's referred to as "jam pumpkin" here, it looks like a darker field pumpkin that someone sat on. Is that the ticket?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010 07:30:36 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010 07:50:19 AM »

Spicy Curried Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Soup

I used canned pumpkin for this, mostly because I made it for dinner parties when I was a chef and cooking pumpkins was too time-consuming, for sure.

1 whole onion, green and red bell pepper, zucchini, chopped small or grated, sauteed or roasted with S&P & garlic. Peanut oil is good here, but not necessary. Set aside for garnish.

Just put the soup parts in a pot and bring to a boil:
1 large can pumpkin IF USING FRESH PUMPKIN: 4 packed cups, roughly, and you'll probably have to whirl it in the blender after.
4 cups chicken stock (more or less depending on how thick you'd like it)
1 Tbl curry powder (more or less)
1/4 cup peanut butter (chunky is OK)
Salt to taste
Garlic chili sauce (the hot Asian version), if you'd like (I like!)

Ladle into bowls and put some of the veggie mix on top/center. Dollops of sour cream are optional.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010 04:55:54 PM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brackish Potato
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010 08:35:04 AM »

Thanks for the tip! ...now I only wish I had a freezer. Or appropriate pumpkins. I hear field pumpkins don't really work for cooking? Well, I read it somewhere. We have... butternut pumpkin/squash, field pumpkins and decoration pumpkins (those fist sized things). I'm not sure if I've seen any other kind here. Any of those work? Huh

-edit- apparently we also get something that's referred to as "jam pumpkin" here, it looks like a darker field pumpkin that someone sat on. Is that the ticket?
What we call "field pumpkins" in America are appropriate for cooking. Just don't get one that's too big. The best cooking pumpkins are called "pie pumpkins". They are smaller than a carving pumpkin and nice and round.
A really easy way to get pumpkin puree is to cut one in half, no need to peel or chop or scoop out the guts, then place the halves cut-side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at low heat for about an hour or two. Then you just pull that baby out of the oven and the seeds and guts should scoop out easily (discard or make roasted pumpkin seeds) and the pumpkin flesh should be soft enough to scoop out of the skin with a spoon. Then you can mash it or puree in a food processor and use like canned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010 08:41:44 AM »

Oh--I totally forgot about roasted pumpkin seeds! The are great to eat as a snack or mix in with other goodies...

craftychef--you just made my week with CURRY in a pumpkin recipe!!  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandra22

Smile, Smile, Smile :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010 10:36:28 AM »

It's a shame most sweet recipes like this called for canned pumpkin or pumpkin pur... I don't even know where to GET canned pumpkin Huh It's not common food in sweden!

Not sure you can get in the UK either.  I tried making a pumpkin pie once a long time ago, and it was awful - don't know what I did, but it put me off trying again.  Having looked at some of the stuff on here though, I really wish I could get canned pumpkin Sad

Just read the posts about using fresh pumpkin and freezing, but we only get huge orange ones here for carving (probably why my last pie effort was so bad!).  Could you use butternut squash, we always have them here?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010 10:43:42 AM by Sandra22 - Reason: Added a question after reading another post. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/Sandra22
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandra-malone                                                          CURRENT SWAPS -                September Birthday (non birthday swapper).  Magic Yarn Ball.  Disposable Camera.
sillymomma
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010 01:56:28 PM »

For my stuffed pumpkin recipe, any orange squash would work just fine. So try with your butternut squash! Here's another recipe, my kids favorite!

PUMPKIN PANCAKE BATTER (a good way to trick your kids into eating their veggies!)
(play around with the measurements of flour/milk to get the consistency right. You can substitute puree with finely shredded carrot, apple, or zucchini)

2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
4 c. milk
2 c. flour
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1/2 c. wheat germ
6 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar
2 t. pumpkin pie spice

Top pancakes with butter & maple syrup, or butter and peach jam YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps? I would love beautiful/useful polymer clay items, fashion accessories, anything oriental or oceanic, or jewelry? PM me if I can make something for you! Custom glass etchings, beaded jewelry, collage artwork, winter hat/scarfs, write-on calendars, custom name boards, cookies-in-a-jar
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010 09:29:29 PM »

I found this really cool site that has tons of awesome pumpkin recipes. http://fyeahpumpkin.tumblr.com/
I just made their pumpkin brownies, we are going to have them for dessert tomorrow, i cannot wait!
I'll update with pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bump in Your Hair
How to Straighten Hair without a Straightener
How to Braid Your Hair
How to Backcomb Hair
How to Do a Beehive Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...