A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cozy cape  (Read 2276 times)
Tags for this thread: cape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilsparrowdesigns

chocolate feeds the body but sewing feeds me soul

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2010 12:41:00 PM »

Here on the east coast its starting to get chilly finally, which means its coat season yay... well not liking typical coats i have several different capes and wraps that i  have made this will be my main fall and winter go to for this year...
It used to be a satin curtain , well the lining was as well as the collar and lining of the hood, the main portion of my cape is part of 4 yards of upholstery fabric i found in my fave thrift store for 4 dollars! i had to get it and new instantly it was the perfect shade of chocolate for my new winter coat , i set out to actually make a 3/4 length trench but my dis like for being trapped won over and i  am  much happier with  my cape , though sewing with satin  especially cut on the bias is a royal pain in the Arse..

I worked on it for about 10 hours straight , stopping only to smoke about every hour and a half and to feed the fam of course , so at 2 am i finally finished  all but buttons.. i do  have pics taken of just about every step which is a pain , so  if any  one wants a tutorial ill gladly ad a step by step...   

close up of collar sorry satin does not photograph well

the hood being modeled by another project..

and inside of hood, its actually various shades of pink , hot pink light pink salmon ect

and an in progress shot, note the pink sharpie! i got a lil carried away not realizing it my usual washable marker! note that satin slips around no mater how many pins you use especially over such a large area, i used every pin in my  pin cushion which had over 100 pins!

if any  one wants a tutorial ill gladly tackle it , as well as instructions for my  much  simpler wrap which only involves 2 rows of stitches and very little skill...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chocolate feeds my body but sewing feeds my soul.. and aleeve helps withe pain associated with the needle pricks..
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010 06:48:36 PM »

I've been toying with the idea of making a cape.  I hate coats as well.  This looks wonderful.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
lilsparrowdesigns

chocolate feeds the body but sewing feeds me soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010 08:43:54 AM »

I've been toying with the idea of making a cape.  I hate coats as well.  This looks wonderful.  Smiley

they are the greatest , the other style i make is much easier and can be made out of any thing, i have one in jersey knit and one made from a velvet throw as well as one that's a lot more complicated with a collar and a button... i really need to take pics of it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chocolate feeds my body but sewing feeds my soul.. and aleeve helps withe pain associated with the needle pricks..
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010 12:05:15 PM »

Cool. It looks kind of velvety in the picture.

I think capes (and cloaks, shawls, ruanas, ponchos) are actually more practical than coats in some climates. Like the southeastern US. Heavy coats are overkill down here. Capes provide that nice bit of extra warmth but are easy to slip off as needed.

Another nice thing about capes is they fit over a wider range of sizes than coats or jackets. You have to gain or lose a whole LOT of weight before a cape stops fitting.

Plus they just look cool.

More capes! Capes for all!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Juaniece
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010 04:45:58 AM »

I love your cape!  (I was just looking into buying one for the cooler weather.... since I, too hate coats... well, we really don't need coats down here!)    I would love to see a tute or instructions for your simpler cape!

Thanks for sharing your fabulous cape with us! It's lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss tami
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 09:56:00 AM »

Very cute! I'm lusting after a cape as well, maybe I should follow your lead and just make one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sadi27
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010 05:37:46 PM »

tute tute tute! I love capes, this one is lovely. I really want to make one now, I was thinking of knitting or crocheting one but can't really find the right wool Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd be interested in doing a personal swap with anyone who wants to do a fabric-wool swap. I have lots of wool and yarns!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Lemon Chicken
How to Make Dried Tofu Fried With Celery
California Sushi Roll Recipe
Wok Chicken with Alex McCord
Baked Panko Salmon Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...