A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A goblet for Dionysus (img heavy)  (Read 2561 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 08, 2010 12:06:54 PM »

I made this for my partner in the Greek mythology swap a while ago.  I seem to have lost my best pictures of it (my computer died halfway through the swap and my new one didn't have any photo editing stuff on it until yesterday, so I forgot where I stashed the pics, haha.  I'm sure I'll find them eventually!) but these show it off pretty well. Smiley

I used Premo to cover a beautiful wineglass I found at the Goodwill.  I'd never done anything like this before so I used about a billion different tutorials, and it took forever for me to finish the silly thing!  It's meant to be a candleholder (looks pretty cool through the translucent clay- unfortunately those pics were among those I misplaced).  The texturing on the vines was so much fun to do!  But enough talk, here are the pictures!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shanaelle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010 12:50:41 PM »

WOW. That is so pretty! So cool!!!! Did you fire it or anything? Wow... I just can't get over how awesome this is. I hope you write up a tutorial someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010 08:29:29 PM »

oooh very pretty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
niktorious
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010 08:32:47 PM »

nice! the glass stem looks really great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010 10:49:06 PM »

i love the gnarled and twisted look of the stem!

im sure your swap partner was thrilled to receive this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

addiej
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010 04:33:11 PM »

this is beautiful! great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If anyone is interested in a private swap, please PM me Smiley
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010 12:32:59 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Shanaelle- I just baked it in the oven very, very carefully. Smiley  I put it in the cold oven and let it heat up slowly so the glass wouldn't crack, and I made a sort of "tent" with tinfoil to protect it a little.  I don't have any plans for a tutorial because there are many more experienced folks referenced at Glass Attic under the "covering" section that explain the process much better than I could!  Some specifics for what I did though...

The small vines were put through an extruder, then I scratched them with a metal comb-looking tool I have (part of the cheapo sculpting tools set I got at Michaels a few years back...I'm pretty sure it was under $5) and twisted them a little.  The leaves were a big pain in the butt- I didn't have a cutter or anything so I made a stencil by drawing a grape leaf shape onto an index card.  I then cut that out with an x-acto blade, and laid it over clay that I'd put through my pasta machine.  I cut out each clay shape with the blade, then shaped them by hand and cut the leaf-veins with the x-acto blade (that thing got a lot of work on this project! heh).  The leaves and the grapes were all "stuck" on with the help of translucent liquid sculpey, along with the little twisty vines.  Oh, I made those by rolling teeny little bits of clay between my fingers, then wrapping them loosely in a spiral around a pin.

After baking I mixed up some acrylic paint with a whole lot of water and gave the leaves and the "trunk" (I have no idea what the large part of a grape vine is called, lol) a light wash to bring out the texture a little better.  I also did some drybrushing on the trunk for the same reason.  I had different colors of brown in there but it wasn't really enough for me. Smiley

I hope this helped a little! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010 06:11:11 PM »

That is an amazing piece of work!  I'm very envious of your talent now!  Very nice!  THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010 10:10:01 AM »

Beautiful goblet/votive!  You did a great job on everything...do you have a photo of it see-through-glowing when when there's a lit candle in it too??

. . .The leaves were a big pain in the butt. . . veins with the x-acto blade (that thing got a lot of work on this project! heh). . .

You could try making a stamp for the veining if you have to do something similar again sometime I guess, by making and baking one basic leaf with a least a little veining, baking it, then making a reverse stamp from that with clay and baking it to use as the stamp.
Or you could make a stamp+mold by using the baked clay-leaf-with-veining, but pressing the clay over it and around the edges before removing baking.  Then you could just figure out the quantity of clay to press into the stamp-mold that wouldn't overflow the mold interior to avoid having to actually cut out the shape.  
(And if you'd made only a few lines in your stamp or mold/stamp, you could customize each raw leaf further before baking by impressing more vein lines with the Xacto or with a toothpick/blunt needle/etc to fill in around the pre-stamped ones.)

Your leaf has a lot of ins and outs around the edge of the shape so wouldn't be easy to make a cutter that shape but you might try an idea I had once but never tried for making some cutters?
...iow, create the (leaf) shape you want from a fairly thick sheet of raw clay, trying to make the sides of the shape fairly flat and perpendicular...bak e...then wrap/bend a strip of metal** around the perimeter of the leaf shape, tape or epoxy-glue the overlap...use the whole unit as a cutter (if you try it, tell me if it works)
**brass, tin, aluminum (can), etc.

I just saw something else you made that I'm sure the Polymer Clay board would be interested in!...
your polymer clay mosaic used for a fountain, made with translucent-colored polymer tiles so it glows when lit from the back... and over 1500 tiles!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361516.msg4241191#msg4241191
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64562440@N00/sets/72157624993531211
and/or http://craftyorchid.livejournal.com/1946.html
It's not frowned on here to at least announce a project you've put elsewhere that definitely relates to that board's topic too, and include a link so people can know it's there!  I'll be putting a reply there too about quick ways to make tiles (if you decide to do that again, and you should!).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 11:06:02 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Ashejane
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010 11:17:36 AM »

The detail in this is beautiful. I really want to try a project like this... just need to find the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Forget The Beauty Aisle: Skin Fixes From the Fridge
6 Incredible Drugstore Beauty Buys You Need This Summer
Everyday Makeup Tips with Bobbi Brown
His and Hers Beauty Summer Essentials
Watch Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Emma Watson
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...