A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to bind a book.  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shanaelle
« on: October 08, 2010 10:36:09 AM »

I want to bind a book.

I want it to be about the size of a sketchbook I bought from Hobby Lobby a while ago -
here's a picture.

I've figured it to be about 12x9 or 10, but I haven't measured it yet (just found my measuring tape in the cat's stash). It was done with folios, so I need paper to be about 12x18 or 12x20. However, the kicker is that I want this paper to be somewhat heavier duty. The reason I love this sketchbook is that it took SO WELL to my tea staining test adventure (see here). BUT once I tried to stain the creases, the paper got so soggy it came out of the stitching.

To combat this, I want to get the big paper to make into the folios and dye it all BEFORE I put it into the folios. But that's as far as I've gotten. I've got plenty of things to try for the cover and the binding, it's just the paper I'm stumped at. I want a heavier-duty paper, because I'm going to be doing some serious journaling here, so the paper needs to be able to hold up to teastaining and/or light watercolor, as well as some paint, stamping, inking, etc. I know you can make the paper hold up better to these elements through use of a gesso, but I want to preserve the look of that light-tea stained paper (to make it look older).

Can anyone tell me what type of paper they use to bind into books? And where they get this paper? Or any other random tips? I have a TINY bit of bookbinding experience with the envelope book I did, and I want to do some more experimenting before I use 'the real good stuff', but aaaaaany advice, tips, pointers, etc, that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skringlen
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010 06:09:47 AM »

Hey, recently I've been trying to learn all about book binding and I have finished one book and completed 5 more bookblocks.  I have to say I'm partial to parchment paper, but the block I made out of grey computer printer paper turned out just fine too, I think.  I bet you could use just about anything that you would find acceptable to write on for your purpose.  I also have a nice journal (bought by me not made) with "laid" paper in it that I like very much.  I tend to be a supplies snob, so I have to say parchment and laid are my favorite, but any cotton or linen blend paper is nice too I think, and printer paper would also do.  I am looking for a video on hand making a "book headband" if you know of one.  I'm about to make a post of my own to try to find out.  Thanks! - Sarah   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skringlen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010 06:14:23 AM »

OH, sorry , I got some parchment at Hobby Lobby but buying in bulk, say, from Staples or Zepher, is cheaper.  I also found an online site, Paperworks.com, that has some good prices and a great range of inventory, though the shipping cost is a bit much.   There are some really good teaching vidoes on YouTube.com, but I could not find one for making the headband.  What about watercolor art paper for your tea dying?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon Pancakes
How to Make a Pulled Pork Sandwich
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
How to Make a “No-Cook” BLT Flatbread
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...