A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two beginner questions  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chirel
« on: October 07, 2010 10:47:12 AM »

Hi,

some years ago I had a chance to try spinning and as a result I have plied two-colored yarn that is quite uneven. I would like to use it for something as I really like it, but I have no idea how large project I could do with it (I was thinking of knitting something). I just weighed it and I have a little over 200 grams. I have hard time describing the thickness as I don't really know all the terminology in English. It looks like something I would knit with size four needles (I guess I'm using Europian measurements for needles). The main question is: does uneven handspun yarn behave differently from bought yarn?

Also another question. As an exercise I plied two shop bought yarns together (I thought it would be a good idea) and the result is a yarn that has a terribly tight twist in it. It kinks and after all these years the twist still hasn't settled and unravels if it's not tied. Could this kind of yarn be used for something? (Anything?)

(Oh, I wish I had time to practise spinning right now!)

Than you in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010 10:55:45 AM »

a good way to determine needle size with hand spun is to double the yarn, then put it behind a needle guage. When the yarn fills the guage hole (with a little gap on each side), you've found your needle (or a size up or down from that).

I'm not a metric person ... 200 grams is about 7 oz.  this should be plenty to make a pair of mittens and a hat to match.

Does it knit differently? Yes and no.  I find that various brands of commercial yarn will knit different from each other and handspun is no different.  I knit and crochet with handspun all the time.

With your plied commercial yarns.  It sounds like you plied them in the same direction they were spun in.  For plying, you need to spin in the opposite direction.  If it were me, I'd wind it into a ball, then un-spin & ply it in a counter clockwise rotation (high twist, low take up)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
chirel
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010 08:36:29 AM »

Thank you for the answers.

I thought it might be about the direction with th olied yarn. I'll leave that project for later, but I might start a small project with the other yarn. I don't think it will be strong enough for mittens, but maybe a scarf or wrist and leg-warmers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: Eyeliner On Your Top and Bottom Lids
How to Do Your Makeup In 5 Minutes
How to Cover Up Blemishes in a Snap
Beauty Test Lab: Will This Peel-Off Mask Perfect Your Skin?
Get a Fresh Face in 5 Minutes Flat
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...