A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,387
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: red sonja!  (Read 12274 times)
Tags for this thread: costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hyper-Piston
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010 01:04:45 PM »

Homg, you're my hero! I love Red Sonja and you did a great job, all that carpal tunnel was definetely worth it! And I can't believe you ran into Stan Lee, that's so mega frikkin cool XD I can believe he'd be pervy.
Hot girls dressing up as hot comic book characters? He's the Hugh Hefner of Superhero chicks rofl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyrustyrobot
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010 03:45:00 PM »

incidentally, i made my bf's costume as well. tiny, tiny shorts. think daniel craig emerging from the ocean. except covered in faux suede and faux fur.

I think we need pics of that too!  Ahem.

ask and ye shall receive!

he's such a good sport. when anyone asked who he was dressed as, he'd say "i'm the barbarian that she beats up." <3

i made his shorts using a pair of cute trunk undies as the base, then i used zig-zag stitchery on my sewing machine and painstakingly sewed small scraps of faux suede and faux fur onto them. they were rather snug. so much so that i had to cut a small slit down the front, then i put a large piece of faux suede behind, a "junk curtain", if you will. then i punched holes with an x-acto knife and laced a piece of black rawhide through, criss-cross style. the vest was made from a different pattern faux fur. i used a t-shirt to line it with so it wouldn't be scratchy. and i used the t-shirt as the pattern. cheat codes... Smiley

and, for sh!ts and giggles...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoopla 5 swap: stitching!
iyp18 : dancing away!
make a friend : waiting.

wists: wists.com/prettyrustyrobot
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010 06:52:45 PM »

Hitting 'this rocks' for your courage, the carpal tunnel, stan lee...and the whole shebang! You totally rock Red Sonja!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Klenka
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010 08:34:17 PM »

i went to dragon*con this year and made a red sonja costume (more or less) from scratch.

i took an old bra, cut everything off the cups and covered them in faux suede. i bought 1000 chain mail scales from a store online and sewed them one by one to the cups. i then attached some faux leather strapping and used actual clear bra straps to give myself some support.

for the bottoms, i took a pair of brown bikini bottoms that i got on the cheap at wal-mart. i cut the sides off, then i covered them in faux suede using the zig-zag stich on my sewing machine, hoping it would give a little, since the faux suede had ZERO stretch, even on the bias. i made two little triangles for a front and back to the bottom. i strung scales together with split rings (umm, carpal tunnel, much?) and sewed the end of each chain to the triangle so they'd drape a little and jingle when i walked.

my boots are regular slouch suede boots, i cut small ovals out down the front, and cut a strip off of the cuff to attach behind my calf. i also attached silver buttons i made from sculpey.

i also made my leg armor from sculpey, using an aluminum wire frame. i attached them with rawhide.

my studded bracelet was just a piece of strapping from joann's that i pinned and sewed so that it looked like a bracelet sonja's wearing in a cover i particularly like. my other bracelet was a cheap egyptian wrist cuff from the halloween store that i stretched open and tied around my bicep using rawhide to make it a little bigger.

i did not make the sword. Smiley

and yeah. that's stan lee. we ran into him in the elevator. he is a pretty awesome (albeit, pervy) old guy. he kept referring to me as his girlfriend and did not want me to get off the elevator. Smiley

Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!
very impressive!
www.ijitsa.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010 11:14:10 PM »

awesome costume! Grin

im so jealous you met Stan lee too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010 08:55:39 AM »

I LOVE the costume!  If only Halloween weren't such a cold holiday I'd wear that!  Great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitter_is_good
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010 09:00:38 AM »

where'd ya get the scales from? great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropdeadred77
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010 10:04:08 AM »

That second one is a fantastic picture - love it so hard Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyrustyrobot
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010 12:56:33 PM »

where'd ya get the scales from? great job!

there's a user on ebay called the ring lord. the shop has some really awesome stuff. i got my scales and my split rings from there. Smiley and thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoopla 5 swap: stitching!
iyp18 : dancing away!
make a friend : waiting.

wists: wists.com/prettyrustyrobot
craftyalliecat

Craft like there's no tomorrow...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010 06:05:52 PM »

I love this! Like really love this. I have been a fan of red Sonja since I was a wee girl and currently collect the comic books! Great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"^.^"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look: Switch It Up With Accessories
Ashley Graham On Her New Lingerie Line
How to Style a Graphic Tee
Katy Perry Debuts "Left Shark" Onsie Collection
#AdamSays: Yvette Nicole Brown on Developing a Signature Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...