A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom made Victorian Wedding Dress! *and the trials that ensued*  (Read 7174 times)
Tags for this thread: victorian , gown , wedding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Urban Threads

Full tutorials!! http://tiny.cc/tutorials534

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2010 10:41:47 PM »

Goodness! I've been waiting ages to post this here. First of all, I'll say that by the time the wedding came around, I was thrilled with my dress...

Allll the months before that, not so much. So here's the story: My husband and I had a rustic fall victorian wedding. I wanted our outfits to look victorian, but we had a really hard time finding just what we wanted, so we decided to have them made. I started with this sketch for my dress:

We started working with a lady who had done a friends wedding dress. I *thought* she knew how to make my dress...well, it turns out, not quite..

It started well enough...

but then it went to this:

Oh dear. She seems to think the way to get that flowy open bit was to simply make an overskirt and hack out a curve. Yikes. Still, I held my breath...

http://api.ning.com/files/Wg*TntpL9iwNhW47ogW6le0DzUfd6LJLP0d3kwBXTptx-VZVMacI-VF-JOsy*rC3Pjcjdt2-x5rU5kWQOsJGosQOzkRKf6WD/july15_1.jpg

Weeks later, we were pretty much in the same place. This had been taking slow, agonizing months. I realized that the heavy shiny satin we had picked was just not what I needed. We started again with the overskirt...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11327943/Aug1_6.JPG

Saaaamme problem. Yikes. This just wasn't working. I had a minor meltdown and a friend of mine came over to try and learn how to re-drape it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11327943/IMG_4188.JPG

Progress! Finally. We were kinda getting there. This was not so much due to the dressmaker as to my friend and I figuring out how fabric drapes. Still, there wasn't much going on down one side. I still held out hope...aannnd then she hemmed it. And it all went wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11327943/untitled%20photo%200002.jpg

Yikes. Instead of getting married I looked a bit like I was going to a costume party. Or maybe the ren fest. And not in an awesome ren-fest wedding kinda way.

The bodice was coming apart at the seams. You could see the seam line at each panel, and it got worse each time we tried it on. She tried tacking the stitches in but it just meant all the fabric tugged at the edges. The hem of the dress was crooked and puckered. There were seams on the dress that were waaay crooked, and the sleeves fell town too far.

This was about a month and a half before the wedding. I finally freaked. I kindly pulled the dress from her, had a minor internal mental breakdown, and then called every seamstress in town I knew. Luckily, a very nice lady named Brenda picked up one of my phonecalls.

She completely ripped up the gathers on the skirt and re-pinned it, but there was a lot of work left to be done. We had to take a large chunk of fabric out of one of the seams to sew it straight, using only the skirt we had already cut and hemmed because I didn't have the money for new fabric. Everything was still wrinkled and puckered, the new bodice I had rush ordered online was pretty, but too plain, and the skirt still wasn't filling out..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11327943/Dress%200007.jpg

The next week, my mum hand stitched some lace around the top of the bodice,  my seamstress had completley ripped apart the skirt and re-pinning everything (again!) and after adding a hoop skirt, two weeks before the wedding, we finally had this!

Can I get a hallelujah!!! That woman is a miracle worker!! I couldn't believe the transformation. And so, on my wedding day, I felt like a Victorian beauty!

Getting into the dress..

Walking down the isle

The dress from the side, during our hand blessing

And dancing the night away in it!!

Everyone told me what a stunning dress I had, and I was so happy to hear it, but they were even more shocked to learn that it pretty much didn't exist until about two weeks before the wedding! They had no idea the struggle I went through to get this dress made. So, there you have it. I've heard from plenty of people about the wonders of custom dresses. I have here a slightly different perspective. Designing a custom wedding dress is amazing and fun... getting there is a little more difficult. All I can say is, if you're going to do it... make darn well sure the person knows how to make it!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014 04:11:54 PM by kittykill - Reason: Broken images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like the project?  Check out full tutorials for all posted projects at www.urbanthreads.co m
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010 10:49:32 PM »

It turned out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
habitat-lady
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010 11:58:31 PM »

You looked stunning in that beautiful dress.  Congrats on your wedding and tenacity in finding someone who could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Staar84
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010 12:26:23 AM »

I'm so glad you found someone to fix it! It turned out beautifully Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010 01:03:32 AM »

So sorry to hear about your hardships with getting the dress made. It turned out beautifully and you look gorgeous in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

makeaneffort
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010 04:09:08 AM »

Absolutely stunning Grin you and the dress but blimey what stress Shocked .... worth it though i am a little bit envious now that i dont have a wedding coming up  Roll Eyes Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BCherry
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010 08:19:38 AM »

Omg what a struggle!! The end result is absolutly wonderful! It' confusing to me how that first seamstress could butcher it so badly, but it totally transformed! Lucky you!!! It's stunning. That second seamstress is a miracle worker xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashtonblair
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010 01:42:19 PM »

That is why I will not attempt a custom dress. I'm too scared it'll turn out horrible--and I'll have a heart attack. In the end, though, you looked beautiful in your dress. Bravo, to the seamstress that fixed it for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hyper-Piston
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010 11:34:54 PM »

You are my hero for having to deal with all of that and still having your dress turn out gorgeously. I can't believe she cut out a chunk to make that reveal, it doesn't make sense :/ oh well. It looks absolutely fabulous now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010 06:48:28 PM »

Your wedding pics are stunning and your dashing Mr. Darby well that is the icing on your cake Smiley You could not have had a more beautiful day and needed the drama that went to the dress to truly love your dress. It show you can make it through anything as you have shown you did not put a hatchet or shovel to the back of the first ones head like a Lizzy or something LOL. You were patient and it paid off. Beautiful wedding all the way around. from your cake toppers too cute to the photo booth too fun to your girls to pretty...it was the perfect day and you will have many years of memories to go along with this as you DIY and with friends made it YOUR DAY!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 3/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...