A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medieval wedding 9-3-11 and I need HELP!  (Read 1543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2010 06:55:43 PM »

So...I've got 364 days to plan my wedding.  I am living in a dorm room 8hrs away from the wedding location and my fiance, I have very little time on my hands, a $5,000 budget, and I can crochet/sew.

I need help.

I have a princess complex and my FH is a movie buff, so we decided to base our wedding off one of our favorite movies, The Princess Bride.  This means I have a silhouette princess dress (yay!), we're having the ceremony inside our church (which has stained glass windows), and we want to have a big feast/banquet at our reception.

We don't want the medieval tone to be overly heavy, just general touches here and there.  Our colors are emerald green (dominant) and a turquoise blue.  I'd show you pics of the swatches but I don't have them.

I need help with ideas/details.  I'd like to do as much as possible on my own, or with the help of friends.  I've already commissioned two wonderful women I know who have an Etsy shop to do all of our stationary http://cherishedthoughts.etsy.com.

Any advice, tips, or pics from your own weddings is much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010 06:20:41 AM »

OK, well, let's start with a list... what are the projects you're hoping to DIY?  Centerpieces? Aisle Runner, perhaps? Garters? Flowers?  There are so many fun things to do!  I just had my wedding three weeks ago and I did a lot of DIY...it all worked out perfectly!  How many people are you planning to invite?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
ShannonMB

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010 02:28:43 PM »

*sigh*  I just got all excited and wanted to put my two cents in....I love themed (no matter how subtle) events!!

We had a medieval wedding...it was a while ago...but it was the thing that got me started event planning.  We had medieval style music for the ceremony.  The bridesmaids carried very small posy bouquets (if you do an internet search for that there are about a million different ideas) and wore a circlet of flowers on their heads.  My husband and his groomsmen wore long buttoned vests. I got to wear an Italian Renaissance style dress (high waisted, long sleeves) with the requisite crown (I wasn't going to have a fairytale medieval wedding without a crown *L*)
We had our wedding on St.Patricks day, so the table runners were green and we had the candle centerpieces in little black pots surrounded by clover and gold wrapped chocolates.  The wedding favors were little shamrock pins.

Um, um, um....metal or wooden candle holders, ivy, flower garlands, baskets....geez, I could go on and on! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
Ashtonblair
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010 02:58:40 PM »

You could do your personalize an aisle runner. Embroider your initials and the date on the end of it. Then you could have that as a keepsake  to hang up after your wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Distant_Twilight
Code Monkey

Creativity is creativity. There is nothing like it

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010 07:23:56 AM »

Going along with ShannonMB's idea for the circlet of flowers, you could chain copper, or some sort of wire, and weave flowers into the circlet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist!!- http://www.wists.com/Distant_Twilight
Will not be returning to craftster until I can get my anxiety under control. Thank you for all the supportive people I have met here!
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010 10:07:08 AM »

Those are really great ideas, guys Smiley  My mom actually found some old brass candlesticks, mismatched, at a yard sale the other day, so I want to find others in that style.  I like the idea of ivy, too.

The DIY projects I want to do:

-- Ribbon bouquets for my bridesmaids/MOH.  One of my girls has bad allergies and I love the look of ribbon bouquets, so...perfect Smiley

-- Favors: mini glass jars of honey/maple syrup.  Won't take a lot of technical skill, just time-consuming.

-- Storybook-style programs

-- Some kind of accessory for my attendants.  I'm thinking shawls, or maybe hair things.  Not sure yet.

-- Other stuff as I think of it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010 12:42:43 PM »

The DIY projects I want to do:

-- Ribbon bouquets for my bridesmaids/MOH.  One of my girls has bad allergies and I love the look of ribbon bouquets, so...perfect Smiley

-- Favors: mini glass jars of honey/maple syrup.  Won't take a lot of technical skill, just time-consuming.

-- Storybook-style programs

-- Some kind of accessory for my attendants.  I'm thinking shawls, or maybe hair things.  Not sure yet.

-- Other stuff as I think of it. Smiley

I want to update my DIY list to add centerpieces, my throwing garter and a keepsake garter, gifts for my mother and MIL, and ceremony decorations.  We're not sure where exactly the reception will be held yet so I'm holding off planning too much for that until we're sure.  I'm sure there's other stuff I was thinking of recently, but I can't remember yet.

I made two garters for a friend who got married yesterday and besides one minor mishap (I caught my finger under the sewing machine needle -- owie Sad) they weren't hard to do at all and they turned out beautifully.  Using the fabric swatches we've got for color swatches will do great, as there's plenty of extra.  I'll need to find some ivory/off-white lace or ribbon to go with it, and maybe some sort of pretty little pendants, cabochons, or charms of some sort.  Something to make the garters worth doing myself, and something that won't look like the overpriced ones at David's Bridal that 3,000 other brides have Wink

Edited to add: A memorial table/display of some sort for close relatives and friends of mine and my fiance's that have passed away.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010 12:52:31 PM by writer_crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
imbettinonalice

Zydrate comes in a little glass vile...

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010 01:05:21 PM »

I definitely think you should incorporate "As You Wish..." into things especially with the theme.  I actually printed out tags with the quote on it to attach to my guest favors.  You could embroider it or have it printed on things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ohmigoodness, Ohmigoodness!"- Man V. Food

"This is serious, Dean! The voice is telling me that I'm almost out of minutes!"- Castiel, 'Supernatural'
www.twloha.org
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010 01:19:05 PM »

I think it would be fun to have "As You Wish" somewhere in there, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I've already got some quotes written down to use, like "This is true love...you think this happens everyday?"  I want that in our programs, which I'm going to set up booklet style and read like a story.  That'll be a lot of fun to craft and to write (my two favorite things, lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Domnu
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011 08:41:14 PM »

Happy Thoughts!
I have to suggest http://www.do-it-yourself-weddings.com/ they have some awesome favors. Specifically, the mini notebook favors would play off of the storybook idea. The link to which is http://www.do-it-yourself-weddings.com/eco-friendly-wedding-favors.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off the Menswear Look
7 Most Unforgettable Gowns From the Oscars
Oscar Dresses That Made History
The Most Talked About Oscars Dresses Of All Time
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...