A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Envelope book (IMAGE HEAVY) + tut, sort of  (Read 4378 times)
Tags for this thread: book , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shanaelle
« on: October 06, 2010 06:30:14 PM »

This is kind of an old project, as I made it for my boyfriend for Valentine's day this past year (our first together). I wanted to make this a special occasion because 1, he's the first serious boyfriend I had through V-day, and 2, I hate buying things on V-day when I can make things. It took me a long time to decide on something but I ended up picking this after I saw a tutorial on instructables (if I find it again, I'll put it in here so everyone can find it). I messed up the envelopes and had to start all over again, and it was a hugely tedious project but I feel like I learned a LOT (and most importantly, how NOT to make an envelope book, haha). Thus follows are the 33 TONS of images I took documenting the whole process. I'm including them because, well, I LOVE to see how people get from point A to B. So I hope you guys enjoy!

The finished project: (sorry it's a mite blurry)

I don't know when exactly I completed these two steps, so I'll tack them onto the beginning so I don't forget to add them. I picked out this fabric from JoAnne's. (Luckily I had dragged the boyfriend there for an expedition prior and caught him admiring this fabric, so I knew he'd like it.) I prepared the fabric by using an envelope, a pencil, and a ruler to hash out the size I would need. Then I cut the fabric and ironed on a piece of lightweight interfacing.

I started off with 12 of these envelopes. My mom, from whom I have learned much of the paper crafting world, bestowed upon me her wondrous leftover scraps from a similar project. I believe she calls this gift 'tagboard' but I can't be sure. I had two pieces about this size but I ended up going through quite a few chunks of it by the time I was done due to my inability to keep track of which pieces went where.

Then I used a ruler and a pencil to mark where I was supposed to punch the holes to bind them together.

I used a hole punch to make the holes first. My mom had this giganto hole punch that I could punch through all 12 envelopes at once. My hand hurt like heck after. Of course, AFTER I punched through all of these envelopes, I found out I punched the holes on the right side. DO NOT DO THIS, IT WILL MESS UP YOUR BOOK.

So I tossed THOSE envelopes, got 12 more, drew another line, drew holes, then used one of Mom's scrapbooking tools (this one was some sort of mini awl she used to punch holes for 'grommits' I think) and a Pink Pearl eraser as an absorber to punch the holes through the envelope.

Then I used a long needle and thread to stitch the envelopes together.

Like so.

Here's what the underside looked like;

I got to the point where I used the mini awl and only got about halfway through, so I flipped the envelopes over and tried coming up with the awl through the bottom.

The envelope booklet will now look like this;

Notice how you can actually open the envelopes now. This is the right way to do it Wink

The idea with the envelope book was that I'd fill it with things, so I had to make sure the binding allowed the covers to fit the expanding. So, the next step is to put spacers around the stitching of the envelope booklet. I cut out two pieces of tagboard the height of the envelopes, and about half an inch wide.

Then I covered them with grey paper that matched my cover fabric. My go-to adhesive, Mod Podge, didn't work. Sadface. I used... 'Yes!' I believe it is called. It's a combination paper and fabric adhesive for 'heavy duty crafters' from what I learned. After I let that dry overnight, I took some large clips and hot glue and glued the spacers to the stitching of the envelope booklet.

Spacers attached and dry;

Next I used the booklet + spacers to measure how big to make the 3 binding pieces. The center binding piece was a little bit bigger than the width of the two spacers and the booklet combined. The other two were about the same size as the two spacers. However, these three pieces are the same length as the cover pieces which are about a quarter of an inch bigger than the envelopes, on each side. Anyway, here I laid the pieces on the prepared fabric and traced them onto fabric, then trimmed as necessary.

Next I used the 'Yes!' adhesive to attach the tagboard to the prepared fabric.

I let this dry overnight. Then I folded the fabric over, trimmed the corners, and used the Yes! adhesive again to secure the fabric. Because the adhesive was thick, it bled through the fabric a bit. In order to keep it flat, I used the same clips as before, but I stuck popsicle sticks between the clips and the fabric to keep the fabric from getting adhered to the clips.

After that dried, I cut a red ribbon and glued it into the spine of the cover. Then I measured and cut a long slice of grey paper and pasted it over the exposed tagboard and across the spine. I used a bone folding tool to make creases where the spine would bend. (Sorry, I didn't take a picture of this step.) Next I took hot glue and ran it down the spacers. VERY QUICKLY I pushed the spacers into the grey paper lining the cover and creased the cover so it folded into the shape. (I did some folding with it before I glued it together to make sure it would bend the way I intended it to.)

Lastly I took a black stamp pad and some oriental stamps my mom had to embellish a few pages.

Rawr! Imageshack won't let me upload any more images, it's being a pain. I give up. Haha. I'm sure you guys get the point tho, right? Wink Thanks for viewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010 08:09:32 PM »

I think this is the most innovative use of envies. Love the cover fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010 08:11:27 AM »

What a great little book! The finished project is beautifully constructed. (I love that fabric, too!  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010 08:00:07 PM »

I love it!! great job  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanaelle
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010 10:37:13 AM »

Thanks guys  Smiley I'm going to be making a few more for Christmas, I think.. this one really inspired me to do many more Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DawnsTrees
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010 11:40:59 AM »

This is a really cute project! This would be fabulous to make before going on a trip and then filling with mementos! I bet your boyfriend loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
r0ckd0lly
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010 07:23:06 AM »

This is such a good idea! Love the creativity to create a book outta envelope. Very sweet, indeed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherryrose
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010 01:16:13 PM »

Great example of trial and error Grin I'm so sorry but it really made me laugh.
Looks wonderfull though, have you put things inside the envelopes yet?

I've punched holes in wrong sides of things so many times I lost track of count,
I should pay more attention really. Ah well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
librarylover
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010 03:10:27 PM »

I love this envelope book! Thanks for including all your pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Platinum Advice - How to Assess the Value of Your Ring
How to Make Necklaces
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Learn How to Make Hemp Jewelry
How to Make a Woven Yarn Friendship Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...