A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Removing paint and Sharpie with home methods instead of paint stripper?  (Read 1086 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xCurseofCurvesz
« on: October 06, 2010 01:40:02 PM »

Hello all Smiley So I have a wall in my room that had sharpie on it (a good deal; people wrote phrases and drew pictures) and it was then painted over. Yes. I realize that it doesn't cover because the latex doesn't adhere to oil-based markers. >.<

So I was wondering if any of you had luck with home-methods of removing sharpie, such as nail polish remover or hand sanitizer. I really don't want to buy paint stripper as my dad will be PISSED if he finds out.

If this can't be done (I'd do trial and error right now but we're out of remover!) is there such thing as oil-based wall paint, and if so, where can I get it? How does its price compare to normal paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010 02:52:22 PM »

I would love to know how to do this too. Someone defaced our lneighborhood playground with nasty sharpie comments, and I'll like to clean them off, but can't figure out a way to get the sharpie off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010 02:57:38 PM »

have you considered surgical spirit? i know you can use it to make sharpies bleed for a tie-dye effect, fairly sure you could use it to clean up paintwork etc that's been vandalised, not sure how it'd work on the wall that's been re-painted though
nail polish remover should also work, so long as it's active ingredient is acetone (i know some are now acetone free so be sure and check)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010 03:00:12 PM by Selnith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
tomico
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010 11:26:23 AM »

I've read that you can put shalack over the area and this will prevent bleeding into the next layer of paint.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
de_sjiem
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010 09:00:30 AM »

if you are just going to be painting over it, use a good primer first, and that should cover it up for your final coat...  there are some that are specially formulated to cover up hard to cover things
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Nobody
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011 01:11:25 PM »

I've gotten sharpie marker off of wood with a Magic Eraser. I don't know if that would work with walls though. You may have to primer it. You can get Kilz primer at any hardware store, it cover's pretty much everything and comes in oil based and latex.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011 01:38:58 PM »

I can say from personal experience that a primer is never enough. It bleeds through many layers of primmer and paint. I even put plaster over the marker and still had problems with the marker, but, placing a layer of shallack over the marker creates a barrier that stops the bleeding into the next layer of paint or plaster. I wish I had found that out when I was trying to get it off my own walls years ago. We resorted to stipper and scraping which damaged the walls. That we had to reapply plaster into the gullies to have smoother surfaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Liz Funk Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Sam Harris Talks About The Moral Landscape
Meet Authors Robin and Michael Mastro
Roz Chast Talks About Too Busy Marco
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...