A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
840 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Second Recon! An old lady dress to a cute summer dress! Tute? Dunno! img hev.  (Read 4894 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2010 01:34:22 PM »

Ok, Like I mentioned in my first post from today, I've opened pandora's box. I'm quickly becoming more and more addicted to these recons! My favorite crafts are always taking something and turning it into something else, so I'm not surprised! lol

I don't really know if this constitutes a tutorial, so you decide.

This is the wonderfully patterned, horribly designed dress I found at the thrift store for about a buck. Smiley

I got really lucky and the skirt of the dress was EXACTLY the size i needed for it to fit right under my bust!
Unfortunately that meant the waist which became the bust, was too small. I'll get into that in a minute though.

I measured the how tall I wanted the bust area to be and put some pins to mark my spot.

Next I found the difference between my bust and the dress, divided it by two and added an inch for seams. This is how wide my inserts needed to be to make the dress fit my chest.

At this point I needed to get to the side seams, so I cut the excess of the top.

I then cut off the extra sleeve following the hem line to keep the curve.

I opened the side seams and pinned in my inserts I made using the sleeves I cut off.

And then sewed them in.

I made some straps using more the cut off fabric. And pinned them into place.

**This is about the time that my plastic reverse lever finally gave in and snapped. To back stitch I had to make sure the needle was down, lift my foot, turn the fabric around, replace the foot stitch, and repeat to get going back the right way. Sad  I immediately ordered a replacement Smiley**

This is what I had after I sewed in my straps as the same time I hemmed the top. Next step: tailor!

This was a longer shot to show the length, I ended up shortening it to make ties for the back and even though the ties make the dress, I regret having to shorten it. I rather like the long length.

After adding a dart to the boobs to make it fit better, adding the ties to the side and hemming the bottom, and sewing the button part shut so it doesn't billow open on me, I have one cute summer dress that I can't wait to wear! (Even though summer is over, I'll find a way to wear it, don't doubt me! lol)

**EDIT**

I completely forgot that I made some bows too. I still had some of this fabric left and I thought a little bow would just be perfect for it. I ended up getting some scraps out from other projects and made some from those too. I even got lucky to have my little brother model them for me! lol he was playing a video game and i think he was only vaguely aware of what I was actually doing. Cheesy tee hee

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010 01:40:12 PM by l3ri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010 01:53:49 PM »

CUTE! Gonna have to rummage through charity shops now. Smiley Your brother looks blissfully unaware - but the bows are super cute. Smiley Great work!! Smiley -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
craftytwin
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010 03:44:35 PM »

cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010 07:07:44 PM »

Super cute! great job!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010 07:48:25 PM »

Thanks guys! It means a lot!

Thrifting is an absolute passion of mine! And not just for clothes, furniture, knick-knacks, wall art, picture frames.... you know what they say one man's junk is another man's treasure! I'm finally getting around to decorating my living room, I'm going for a morrocan theme. I found a real silver tray with a neat pattern on it for 2 dollars at good will, polished it and it looks brand new! The key is just to take your time, and really look at what is in front of you. Sorry I'm rambling. lol like i said it's a passion of mine! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CynthiaButterfly

Love is being stupid together

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010 12:46:00 PM »

That is fantastic! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
Symmentha
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010 11:17:58 PM »

Haha, how cute is your brother!

I really like the dress too. Ive been desperately looking for some summery dresses, but the clothes at my local thrift stores more often than not are made of yucky polyester. Found a gorgeous dress the other day, but only in a size 10 (I need more like a 14-16) and as soon as my mum saw it she kidnapped it, before I could alter it. Ah well, more searching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShannonMB

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010 10:28:46 AM »

Ah yes...recons are my favorite past time!!  I look at things at the thrift store for fabric and pattern....I can turn almost anything into something else.  *L*

Excellent job!!  Very cute!  Can't go wrong with plaid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010 05:48:21 AM »

Soooooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
DreamyDahlia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010 08:17:37 AM »

You are very talented! Love the reconstructed dress. Your little brother looks, ummm....adorable, too! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its never too late to become what you might have been.

Astrid's blog: http://bigblackandbrowndog.blogspot.com
Etsy shop: http://www.astridnicole.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Singapore Kitchen: How to Make Fish Head Curry
How to Make Sriracha Sauce
Duck Spring Roll Recipe
Chef Shares Recipe For Mentaiko Spaghetti
How to Make a California Roll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...