A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! picking a logo... need opinions!  (Read 1979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: October 05, 2010 09:55:25 AM »

So, before I start asking other questions re: the stuff I might sell and the prices, I'm still trying to come up with a logo for an opportunity which has recently arisen: a friend of mine opened a shop (mainly home decoration stuff, small gifts, etc plus she's a wedding planner) and asked me if I wanted to sell some of my jewelry in her place, as she kept loving all the things I was wearing and could host me in her place...
I'm mainly thinking of beaded knitted cuffs & thinner bracelets (on wire, not thread), more bracelets, fabric necklaces, mabe earrings and hair barrettes/pins, I'm still coming up with a list of stuff I could replicate without loosing my mind... this is just to give an idea of the genre.

I would be making a small sign for inside the store (we have not defined yet which area I will occupy) and some business cards to start... then we'll see how it goes!

The name will be in Italian - Il gatto viola means "the purple cat" and I like that... but the logo... I don't know.
I first did this:

starting as an inspiration from the frilly logo of my friend's shop (see http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7354285&l=c002d964f9&id=775834534 me being silly in front of the shop window) and though this was pretty liked by my friend, I 'm not really sure... too frilly and simple

so it evolved in these five variations:

I think my fave one is the A - with the cat as a purple contour of a white shape. I feel that the B&C versions, with the full purple, are too heavy....
I'm unsure about the last two, with the cat filled with a gradient and the "O"/ball thing either empty or with a partial filling. My friend preferred this gradient version, I sort of like version E but at this point, I've been staring at this thing for soooo much time that I lost all objectivity, so I'd LOVE some input and opinions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010 10:10:17 AM »

I like E, but that's just me. Just as a first impression, it was much lighter in feel than the fully colored ones, and it seems the cat itself should have some sort of color to it. Maybe try one or two with a lighter color purple in the cat itself, instead of the heavy purple, and see how it turns out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010 10:29:48 AM »

I love C. It makes for a super quick stencil and could be turned into a stamp for bags, tags, and other necessaries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010 11:41:47 AM »

Thank you for the input!
in the meantime, I showed it to some other people, and basically, though I still love A, I came to dismiss it when someone had trouble recognizing the cat shape at first glance - some kind of fill inside the shape helps for that, so I got down to C or E.

I was thinking that for the smaller things - business cards, or small tags for earrings or such things - it would get very very scaled down... probably the gradient would get lost/messy... or at least I'm afraid of this... so I was almost falling on C, to have one simple color all over... but keep the ideas coming, I've definitely not mad eup my mind yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CheshireNat

Most days I just want to have adventures.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010 06:55:39 PM »

My first gut instinct was to go with A...But after my eyes adjusted, I think I like E the best!  I'm not sure how small you want to get with it, but if you're working with a really good printer I don't think the gradient would get too lost.

Love the name and general concept of your logo, regardless. It's cute, yet classy and the cat itself works great to help define your brand. So, you're off to a great start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheshireNat Designs: excelling at cuteness since 1983
http://cheshirenat.etsy.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010 04:07:25 AM »

B. The simpler the better since the cat is relatively complicated visually. I would also make the O the same size as the font.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010 12:54:28 PM »

I like E best visually,
but I think C would be easier to work with on a smaller scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
cecilesattic
Soft Furnishings Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010 01:04:48 PM »

Love C!
cat is an interesting shape on its own too, like a broach or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hautedogclothing
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010 01:05:06 PM »

I really like E  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/hautedogclothing
www.etsy.com/shop/sexybeastaccessories
"Like" my shop on FB please! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Sexy-Beast-Accessories/210550278988695
apoe
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010 04:04:35 PM »

C.

C.

C!!

The gradient feels 80s or something and I'm absolutely in agreement with the previous poster who acknowledged the simple design makes for easy stamps, stencils, etc.

The reason I chose C over A or B is because I think it's the most obvious that the O is part of Gatto.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers
Conrad Doucette on What a Copywriter Enjoys About His Work
Denise Kiernan on The Girls of Atomic City
Chip Ingram’s Spiritual Simplicity
A Different Side of Judas Iscariot
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...