A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookie Mama (Recipe Included!)  (Read 4676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iamadecoy
« on: October 04, 2010 07:05:41 AM »

My entry for the crafting contest is a pixelated Cooking Mama made out of sugar cookies! Cooking Mama becomes Cookie Mama! I had wanted to do Cupcakes, but I only found out about this contest a few days ago and just didn't have time to make the cupcakes. As it was, making the cookies took forever!

First thing I did was I drew out my plan in Photoshop.

I first thought of doing a beaded Mama out of Perler/Hama Beads since that's what I already do, but I figured that a lot of people would think of that and would probably make much bigger ones than I could. I only have two trays for the beads and a limited supply of beads, so I just wouldn't be able to do a large one! I made one anyways which I used for my cookie reference!

When I decided on cookies I pulled out my favorite sugar cookie recipe. It's for the kind you roll out and cut into cute shapes (In my case hundreds of squares). Whenever I make my cookies I use half butter half margarine. Since margarine is oil it makes the cookies softer. I love soft cookies! Works best with chocolate chip - Mmmmm!

Ingredients

* 3/4 cups butter, softened
* 3/4 cups margarine, softened
* 2 cups granulated white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 5 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Mix together butter, margarine, and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

For this I ended up cooking 11 minutes. I also rolled my cookies out on to wax paper that I cut to be the size of the pan.

I cut my dough into thirds and did it in three batches just to make baking a little easier. The first patch I cut with a pizza slicer before it went in the oven so I had lines to follow when it came out. Since stay on those lines was really hard, I only cut the second two after I cookied them. Measuring always became taking to long and the pizza slicer didn't want to follow lines anyways, so I eyeballed it for the most part.

Since I didn't know how much dough it would take for all my colored pixels, I decided to die the cookies after. I was REALLY low on ingredients (I had only 4 eggs for the cookies!) so I didn't have enough sugar to make frosting. Instead, I took food coloring and put it in water, then dipped the cookies in. The tops got a little soggy, but they dried fine! For the whites I just covered them in sugar.

After all the colors were dipped, I assembled my Cookie Mama!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010 07:17:23 AM »

yumm! more cookie Mama's!  To bad we can't all feed everyone our creations...  Smiley  They sound delicious though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamadecoy
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010 10:59:19 AM »

Yeah, I wish! The neighbor came to play with my kittens while I made it and said I should mail my cookies to every because they were so good. I said I'd just give everyone the recipe and they can make them! They make great Christmas cookies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010 11:08:36 AM »

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing your process and the recipe with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010 01:11:15 PM »

Very impressive!

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueskiesblog.blogspot.com
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
iamadecoy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 01:41:07 PM »

Thanks! Getting there is half the fun. I think it's always important to show how you did something, especially in this type of community. Never know when any of it could come in handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010 01:16:09 PM »

Awesome Mama. Thanks for the recipe! I think I'll try it tonight - Mr. Lime has been begging for some cookies lately Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamadecoy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010 09:42:19 AM »

Thanks! You're welcome! If you want to make some icing for them, I usually just mix confectioners sugar and milk and put it on top like sort of a thin glaze. I would have done that for the contest if I wasn't completely out of confectioners sugar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Karen Hunter Talks About Stop Being Niggardly
Recipes from The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
David Lehman Talks About Yeshiva Boys
Matt Myklusch Talks About Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation
Meet Author Mark Alpert
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...