A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Magic "Mama Will Fix It!" Bag! (Word and pic OBESE)  (Read 10382 times)
Tags for this thread: mama , bag , pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2010 04:13:37 PM »

Gather 'round, friends, and let me tell you the story of a magic bag....

Once, there was a girl who set out to make an amigurumi octopus lady. She gathered her yarn and hooks and set to work.

It was soon apparent that things.... well, things weren't going so well for the girl.

The yarn had become tangled together into one big knot, her stitches were frayed and uneven, her hook had snapped--except for spontaneous yarn combustion, everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. The girl was determined, but after several hours of untangling, crocheting, and starting over again and again, the mess just got worse. It looked as though her amigurumi octopus lady would never come to be.

Then it hit her:

Yes, you're never alone with the Magic "Mama Will Fix It" bag! With the fires of determination in her eyes, Mama takes your failed project--

--and in a matter of a few frenzied minutes, she works her magic. As Mama's face softened into an expression of pleased serenity, the girl looked into the bag. What's this?

It's the octopus lady!

Thanks, Mama!

Okay, now that our little play is over.... <3

This is my entry for the contest, the "Mama Will Fix It" project bag. I'm constantly transporting WIPs back and forth from home to my mom's house, and when this challenge was announced, it seemed like a good opportunity to make myself a cute (and big!) bag to carry my stuff.

The first thing I had to do was make the pattern. I found the images I wanted to use and took their resolution down to a workable size--54 by 74 pixels for the front and back panels. Then I had to reduce the number of colors to a workable number--16--lemme tell ya, this bag was a great stashbuster!

It was only after all this that I actually learned to do tunisian crochet. I picked it up pretty quick thanks to Youtube! Each stitch was one pixel of the pattern.

(This was my very first time doing tunisian crochet, and when I started I didn't have the right kind of hook and no money, so I carved a hook out of a dowel rod, which I used for the entirety of the "fire eyes" panel--you've got no idea how proud of myself I was Smiley )

Anyway. The front and back panels took about four days of work each, due to the amount of color changes in the piece. (I wish I had gotten a pic of the back of the panel--it was a mess! It took around four hours EACH PANEL to weave in all the ends!)

The front panel, featuring FIERY DETERMINATION Mama. My favorite of Mamas Smiley

The back panel depicting "pleased" Mama. (The Mama doll was my project after finishing the bag. I had worked so long and so hard on the bag that when I finished it, I had this weird separation anxiety. I funneled that anxiety into making a Mama doll. Smiley)

The sides, which say "Don't worry" on one side and "Mama will fix it" on the other, were mercifully very quick to crochet up.

The strap is two long skinny rectangles of single crochet that I crocheted together. I lined the bag with a pink and cream polka dotted upholstery fabric.

All in all, the bag took nearly two and a half weeks of working every day to complete. It was entirely worth it!

Just remember... You're never alone with the Magic "Mama Will Fix It" bag Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylaedi
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010 04:30:05 PM »

This Rocks!! \m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010 04:36:46 PM »

Yeah, this is pretty awesome.  I thought I liked the fire eyed Mama but pleased mama is uber cute.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010 04:59:09 PM »

This rocks! It's super cute and looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010 06:06:13 PM »

I love this bag and the story was great too! Rocks also
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fontiua
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010 06:17:23 PM »

this is sweeet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
moosecafejf

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010 06:42:22 PM »

this is amazing.  I've only dabbled in yarn crafts, so I'm really impressed with how quickly you pulled this off (even with all the dreadful ends).  you deserve an awesome bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010 08:55:20 PM »

Oh. My. Gods...  Shocked
Epic work! Good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 08:59:07 PM »

Wow! You carved your own crochet hook to make this?! Shocked Now that's dedication! Mama would be very pleased. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010 08:59:22 PM »

This is really cool!  your stitches are so perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Curly Updo Inspired by Rihanna
How to Get Voluminous, Curly Hair at Home
How to Hone the Bohemian Minimalist Hair Look
The Best Bangs to Flatter Your Face Shape
Tips For Making Clean Hair Last Longer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...