A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magnetic wall pixels  (Read 2614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marieC
« on: October 03, 2010 11:53:16 AM »

Woooooo!  I finally finished (kind of):

So I was inspired by Molliemoo's post here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=358681.0  and thought that I'd love to have something like that in the house.  We have a curving wall up the stairs of the townhouse (it's the reason we bought the place, really) that we hadn't done anything with (too curved to hanged pictures).  It seemed a perfect place to do a moving mural of tiles.  My husband (the programmer) asked for squares rather than circles so it could be "like pixels".  I did blue and yellow because I was nearly paralyzed with color indecision and DH looked over a said "blue is nice".  I thought about staining them all different wood colors too, which would have also been cool.

So I bought magnetic paint (it comes in quarts and I had to do two, so $40 of paint) and slapped it up.  Magnetic paint is like crude oil.  It's crazy thick and ruins everything it touches, including the paint tray.  I had to use bike degreaser to get it off my hands and arms.  The magnetic paint is in about a 4' by 16' swath up the stairs at eye level.  It's also only sort of magnetic.  The magnets I used are strong, but they only lightly hold everything to the wall.  Don't expect to hang much more than balsa wood.

Then I kiltz'd (to tone down the black) and then repainted the wall blue.

The tiles are balsa wood 3", 4", and 5" square (about $50 worth).  I painted them gradients of blue and yellow from pure tone down to white.  Then I hot glued magnets on the back ($40 for 125).  I say the project's only partially done because I have 160 painted tiles and 125 magnets.  And the 5" tiles really need two magnets as they're a bit heavy.

Anyway, here's 120 tiles up:

So I spent about $130 on this (I already had all my own kiltz and colored paint) and still need to buy more magnets.  I'm really happy with it though, it looks awesome in all the different lights, even when it's dark.

The magnet part is nice because you can move everything around as you go.  Right now these guys are just kind of thrown up there.  I'll play around with them in time.  The original project used a painted metal sheet that hung on the wall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010 12:24:45 PM »

WOW!!  Cheesy Cheesy
That just made my day!  I love magnetic paint and you made it into something totally useful and beautiful!  I love how organic it is, and how it can change depending on your mood!  I can totally see you leaving little "notes" for each other behind the squares, using the magnets to hold them up.
Love it!
Clicking "This Rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gravity
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010 10:00:26 PM »

This looks fantastic! As in like, I'm sad I rent and cant do this because it's amazing! I love way you did the gradient on the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010 01:10:41 PM »

how awesomely neato!  Good to hear your review on the metallic paint.  I've been wanting  to do this on my living room wall since I saw Mooliemoo's post, but I'm not sure how it would stand up to 3 kids 5 and under if the paint makes it only slightly magnetic.  Bonus here too (and with any project like this0 Is if you get tired of the tiles, you can always make more to change it up!

Gravity, check out Mooliemoo's post, because she's got a removable magnetci board she uses, so it would be safe for renters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leigh7911
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010 12:33:41 PM »

Yea! This makes me happy - yellow and blue are my favorite colors. It's obvious you've put a lot of thought and hard work into this, and it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010 07:05:17 AM »

This is so awesome! I think it's so cool that people saw my tiny idea and played with it in their own way. I love the pixel idea and it really works well on that curved wall. I've never heard of metallic plaint, I will have to check it out. I'm planning on making some boreds as Xmass gifts and if I could use that paint on big slabs of wood that would be cool. I love the blue and yellow color choice. Very very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010 01:52:45 PM »

That's a great idea! I love how it makes the stairway look like something out of a modern art museum. Bonus on it being constantly changing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eccles Cakes Recipe
How to Make a One-Pot Almond Crumble Cookie
How to Make Easy and Delicious Walnut Fudge
How to Make Peanut Butter and Nutella Smores
How to Make Candied Orange Peels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...