A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace. Can anyone tell me all about lace?  (Read 879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pollyanna On Speed
« on: August 30, 2010 11:55:39 PM »

Hope this is the right categhory for this question.

is lace?  (I know what it is as in it is my curtain, but what is it made of)
How is it made?
and is it possible to make your own lace?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cricket416
Cats really don't like to ride bicycles, no matter how much duck tape you use.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010 06:55:16 AM »

I've never even thought of making lace before... Wikipedia lists 9 different kinds of lace.  My mom used to crochet lace doilies, but crochet lace is probably a little different than the lace you're talking about. 

Bobbin Lace is absolutely gorgeous, although the process (youtube link) looks kind of intimidating... Needle lace looks like the most common for crafters, and it looks like there's a ton of tutorials on the internets for that method.  I think it would be incredible to learn how to make your own lace...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010 10:30:39 AM »

If you check out the machine embroidery board, there are some absolutely spectacular lace hats that were made using an embroidery machine.  It's the closest I've ever seen to handmade lace, as one would find on a bolt.  And of course it's not the same thing.  You can also knit lace, and through a process called steeking, cut and sew it, but man, I'd be afraid to do that, having knitted lace before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010 11:45:28 AM »

Lace is elegantly woven/tatted/knotted thread. I make lace with my embroidery machine, but that's from patterns I've downloaded. I can make my own... once I learn how.

In my opinion, the most amazing lacemaking technique is bobbin lace, or pillow lace. This page has some good information: http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/BeginGuide.html   Obviously, lacemaking is a very time-consuming process... I'm glad I have a machine to help me out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010 11:10:44 PM »

OMG! I'm watching that youtube video.
Thank you for the information. I only have a basic sewing machine.
I had hoped it would be a little bit easier, but I guess thats part of the reason lace is so attractive.
I may have to start crocheting and then try crochet lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010 05:15:58 PM »

PollyannaOnSpeed,
There are lots of lace types, everything from cheap nylon lace trims and yardage (think curtains), to heavy lace yardage, to French Heirloom Lace, to everything in between. 

I made a dress with $100/yard lace bodice (took a lot of courage to cut into that piece of fabric).  I also do French sewing by machine (sks heirloom sewing) in which I use the French laces to make delicate baby and little girl clothes (think Christening and first confirmation dresses). 

I do not make my own laces because the process is extremely time consuming and really lovely laces are readily available, primarily through internet sources (most lace carried by shops like JoAnn's are nylon laces and, imho, pretty cheap looking, especially when it comes to heirloom sewing.  Check out marthapullen.com for heirloom sewing supplies.  Check out your finer fabric shops for better lace yardage.

What triggers your interest in lace?

SewNutzz (aka Lacestchr on some other forums)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pegatha

A house without glitter is - boring.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010 01:28:50 PM »

Yes, it is possible to make your own lace. This is the sewing board, so the replies so far have leaned in that direction. But as a non-sewer who found your question when I did a search for "tatting," I can provide a different answer.

If you're looking for smaller pieces of lace, rather than the wide stuff that's sold by the yard in fabric stores, there are lots of different ways to go:
- crochet
- knitting
- weaving
- bobbin lace
- tatting

If you know how to do any of the above it probably wouldn't be that hard to make lace. With knitting, crochet, and weaving, it's just a matter of leaving some strategically placed holes in your work. Bobbin lace uses different threads wound on bobbins that are manipulated to make the patterns. Tatting uses a special shuttle, needle, or crochet hook (cro-tatting) to make lace patterns. I'm currently learning needle tatting, and it's a lot of fun.

I'm off topic for this board, so I'll stop there. But I'm sure there's a lot of information online about all of these techniques, and probably even videos if you have the bandwidth. You might want to do a search on whatever type you're interested in, and for the videos I think the most likely place is YouTube because people use it more than the other sites.

There are probably other ways to make lace that I just don't know about. But hopefully this will get you started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010 07:24:01 PM »

Thank You!

My interest in lace simply come from admiration. Lace can look so good.
I'm very new to sewing but I've been trying to learn about different materials.
I think lace will be a 'to-do' or 'wish' list item for some time yet.
I'll definatley need to check out the different laces there are, and avoid the cheap looking ones.

=D I am so greatful to everyone for sharing there knowledge, its one of the things I love about the craftster community.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeannette Walls Talks About Her Life
Bob Shepherd Talks About The Infidel Podcast
Author Jonathan Alter Discusses His New Book the Defining Moment
Visiting Author Jodi Picoult in Rome
Kingdom Wars II: Tartarus Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...