A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
842 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Endpaper mitts seam  (Read 362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: October 02, 2010 02:39:05 PM »

I'm going to assume that everyone has either put the Endpaper Mitts http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/endpaper-mitts in their favorites on Ravelry or at least put them on their wist list.  I finally found the perfect color changing yarn in the right weight and I'm ready to knit them (as soon as I finish this other project...oh, and that one too...)  But I'm a little concerned about this purled "seam" stitch along the outside of the hand.  I've looked at lots of pictures of finished mitts on Ravelry, and the seam looks unsightly, like ladders from magic loop.  I can make this pattern without that, right?  I'm not used to following a graph pattern, and I've only done fair isle one other time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010 03:35:21 PM »

I made these awhile ago and recall being concerned about the purl stitches,  too.  I ended up really liking how it turned out--i think the purl stitches give the mittens an elegant edge.  I know I posted photos here of them once I finished, but I'm not sure I got a good photo of the sides.

That being said, I don't see that there would be any harm in just working them as a knit stitch if you really wanted.

Good luck! I really loved this pattern and hope you do, too.  Share photos when they're finished!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010 10:16:20 AM »

I got rid of the purl stitch and just did the pattern repeat around the entire hand. I remember I did have to figure out which stitches were the pattern repeat, it must not be marked on the chart.  There's a not great pic on my blog (4th pic down) (bad camera = bad pic) of the finished 'trigger finger' mitts that they turned into. I used a heavier yarn than the pattern called for so it was too thick for fingerless mitts, so they ended up as full mittens instead.  Grin

I really did follow the pattern & chart. Most of the time. I just made them longer in the hand. And left out the purl stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
How to Know When to Cut Long Hair
How to Go from Really Long Hair to Really Short Hair
The Best Long Hairstyles for Round Faces
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...