A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Laundry Soap (With Tutorial Link)  (Read 3425 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aglanceatmyworld
« on: October 02, 2010 08:42:53 AM »

I hope I'm posting this in the right section...

I've been making my own laundry soap for about a year and a half.  At first I was making liquid soap just because I've always used liquid store bought soap.  But now I make powdered soap and it is much quicker to make!  Here's a picture of what it looks like and the video tutorial in the link below Smiley  Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVG1_E78Ppk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010 08:49:14 AM »

this is awesome! I have borax already for our ant problem, so all I need to do is pick up some washing soda! yay, economical alternatives!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
HippieNation
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010 10:43:06 AM »

Hello!  I've been making homemade liquid laundry soap for quite some time and it works great!  I use Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and a good basic soap such as grated Fels Naptha soap, Octagon soap, or a bar of my own homemade lye soap.  I also add a few drops of Lavender  EO and the laundry soap smells great!   I'm all about making homemade versions of supermarket stuff!  haha   

Some of the recipes for stuff can be found at the Duggar family website.  They have one up for stretching your fabric softener (take a bottle of any liquid fabric softener and dilute it with water-don't remember how much at the moment!; cut two sponges in half and throw in the mix; for each dryer load, squeeze out one sponge and throw it in the dryer before you turn it on).  That works wonderful as well!

I'm still looking for a homemade dishwashing detergent that works (for a dishwasher, not hand washing).  I've tried just about every recipe I've seen on the Net and they have all failed miserably. The first cycle or two seems to do great, then a film starts showing up on all the dishes and it's hard to scrub off.

Enjoy today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010 01:36:18 PM »

pretty and cost efficient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010 01:56:55 PM »

looks good, i have a question though, would borax substitute work? because i haven't been able to find any real borax in ages, just the substitute (which won't make slime, however hard you try)

also, i LOVE powder-type laundry soap, research shows that it actually gets your clothes/fabric cleaner and more hygenic (even at lower temps) than liquid stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
aglanceatmyworld
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010 03:21:31 PM »

looks good, i have a question though, would borax substitute work? because i haven't been able to find any real borax in ages, just the substitute (which won't make slime, however hard you try)

also, i LOVE powder-type laundry soap, research shows that it actually gets your clothes/fabric cleaner and more hygenic (even at lower temps) than liquid stuff

I'm not sure if a substitute would work...I've only used borax.  You might try looking for it again because I know Wal-Mart wasn't carrying it, but has recently started restocking it because of the higher demand.  Also several grocery stores I've gone to carry both borax and washing soda now.  Hope you're able to find it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010 04:42:22 PM »

Aglanceatmyworld I love making my own as HippieNation said "I'm all about making homemade versions of supermarket stuff", my friends and family sometimes thing I'm a bit out of my mind, but I bet I save more money than they do  Wink.

Btw, HippieNation add a little vinegar to the dishwasher where the jet dry should go and that will (should) cut the film.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010 02:40:12 AM »

I'm not sure if a substitute would work...I've only used borax.  You might try looking for it again because I know Wal-Mart wasn't carrying it, but has recently started restocking it because of the higher demand.  Also several grocery stores I've gone to carry both borax and washing soda now.  Hope you're able to find it Smiley

it says borax substitute and as far as i can tell it cleans pretty much as well, i'm in the UK though so even that was hard to find
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barbarella

Necessity is the mother of invention.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 06:09:28 AM »

Hey, Selnith, where did you find the borax sub? I haven't even been able to find that (i'm in Stoke On Trent).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010 06:31:22 AM »

I'm up in the north east (near newcastle) and some larger boots and asda stores have it, or the internet, actually amazon now has real borax too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Glowing Streaks - Motion 3
How to Create Lightsabers - Motion 3
How to Create a Glow Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Bloody Blobs - Motion 3
How to Create a Mac Boot Animation - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...