A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt made of candy  (Read 4074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beaglesews
« on: October 02, 2010 08:13:28 AM »

My daughter needs a skirt made of candy.  I'd like to somehow make this for her.  She was thinking saran wrap with candy glued on.  It's an idea, but I would love to hear if anyone has made anything like this that could offer suggestions!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loli-chan
Simply Brilliant

Antisocially Awesome

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010 08:51:39 AM »

How durable do you want it? How much effort do you want to put in? If you don't mind a bit of effort and time, I would do it like bead weaving, except instead of normal beads, use candy bracelet beads. You can just do a google search if you don't know how to weave beads. It's pretty easy, it can just take some time. Anyway, I'd recommend making a piece of 'fabric' from woven candy, and then stitching two of the sides together.

This is an interesting idea, I'd love to know how you do decide to go about achieving it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead... It's what you are when you've died.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010 10:09:12 PM »

The bead weaving idea sounds fantastic!  However, if you don't want to put that much time in, I'd make a skirt out of muslin, rather than saran wrap.  It'll be easier to work with, and less chances of a wardrobe malfunction.  Have you seen the "pencil skirt" in the Craftster Challenge 54?  You could do the same thing with twizzlers, and it would be awesome!  You could also whip stitch licorice shoelaces into patterns onto it.  I think the most important things you need to think about are how much time you want to spend, how much money you want to invest, how long it needs to last, and how hard it actually is to get candy to stick to anything.  I'd definitely stick to either wrapped hard candies that you can glue on with Aleene's Tacky Glue, licorice which you can stitch through/around, or the candy beads.  Nothing that will melt or hurt if your daughter tries to sit down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
beaglesews
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010 06:27:55 AM »

Thanks for the great suggestions!  The skirt is only going to be worn once at the homecoming game.  The theme of the homecoming dance is "Candyland".  She & her friends that have football players/band member dates want to make t-shirts saying "Sweetest Date Ever" & she wanted to have something else "sweet" to wear.  After many rough drafts, we have decided on cloth.  I was able to get some stretchy black fabric for $1.47/yd.  She is tiny, so one yd. was enough.  She will be wearing purple leggings.  I stitched a seam up the back of the fabric, after folding the fabric over about 4 times.  It is somewhat sheer & folding it over helped the "see thru" of it.  She can just slip it on now.   I am tacking small cupcake papers pressed flat all over the skirt & then I'm going to hot glue wrapped candy pieces on to the cupcake papers.  I do need to think about her sitting in the car to go to the game.  After that, who cares?  Actually, I'm hoping she can pull off the candy & give to friends at the bonfire after game!  Of course, she will have to bring a pair of shorts to pull on  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010 07:43:29 PM »

Pics when it's done would be awesome!  Project Runway has used this idea a couple of times and there is actually a competition for making a dress out of chocolate.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
beaglesews
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010 06:55:50 AM »

Thanks!  I will post pics when done!  At 10 pm Monday night she tells me that they are to dress like their favorite video game character & wants to dress as "Princess Peach" from Mario.  She wants to know if I have any pink fabric to make her a dress.....@ 10pm!  Ugh!  So, of course, I go into my stash & pull out pink fabric & make a quick Halloween costume dress for her.  Took a couple of hours & she actually wore it yesterday!!!  She said she got a lot of compliments!  I guess w/Candyland being the HC theme, they are to "dress" in different "game" outfits all week.  Today, favorite character from Clue.  So, I'm thinking Miss Scarlett because she has an amazing HC long red dress from 2 yrs ago.  I could make a cute, short, shrug.  Noooooo....she wants to wear sweats today!  Teenagers! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beaglesews
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010 11:58:19 AM »

I posted pics in the member's gallery under "beaglesews" but I have no idea how to get to it Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010 04:06:03 PM »

If you click "my craftster" on the yellow tape near the top of the screen, then click "my picture hosting" it takes you to your gallery. From there you can find a link under each image that you copy into your post  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beaglesews
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010 06:33:15 PM »

I tried but it says I have to have 10 posts befor it will let me post pics  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010 09:35:07 PM »

You can still copy the link and put the link in your post. Some nice mod may even just come along and change it to an image Wink Or you could just make two more posts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
Basic Camtasia Studio Tutorial
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Basics of Modeling - 3ds Max
How to Add a Watermark to Video - Sony Vegas Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...